How Are Electric Forces Related to Electromagnetic Waves?

In summary, electricity and magnetism are brought about by the electrostatic force, and the electromagnetic wave is a permutation in the electrostatic force. This wave is caused by the alternating motion of charged particles and is not limited by the speed of light. The oscillatory motion of electrons in a potential creates a wave in the force field. This wave interacts with particles, such as in the case of infrared rays heating things. The theory explaining this is called electromagnetism, and you can learn more about it through online resources such as MIT's OpenCourseWare. Additionally, the magnetic force is a relativistic correction to the electrostatic force and is essentially the same field. It may appear as a different field without understanding special rel
TheTankEngine
Ive heard it said that electricity and megnetism are brought about by electromagnetic waves, but arent electric forces the cause of the other 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electricity and magnetism are brought about by the electrostatic force. The electromagnetic wave is a permutation in the electrostatic force.

the wave is caused by alternating motion of charged particles because light, or the electrostatic force, has a speed limit, right?

TheTankEngine said:
the wave is caused by alternating motion of charged particles because light, or the electrostatic force, has a speed limit, right?

Not because light has a speed limit. The wave is the oscillatory perpendicular motion of the electron.

If the electron is pushing on another electron and it starts to move perpendicular to the force so does the other electron. You can test this by pushing a book across your table, and at the same time move your hand perpendicular to the direction of force, the book will move perpendicular as well.

So since an electron exerts a force on all other charged particles, if it moves up and down perpendicular to the direction of force, so do all other charged particles.

Electrons are in a potential when they are part of an atom, so oscillatory motion is common which creates a wave in the force field.

thanks, i think this is the last one:
how does this oscillation of an electrostatic field interact with particles? ex. infrared rays heating things

i also don't get why an electromagnetic wave is considered electric and magnetic forces oscilating perpindicular to each other.
by the way, can you tell me where you learned and where i might learn online?

here, the best thing you can do for me is to tell me what the theory is called, the way you explain it, thanks!

TheTankEngine said:
i also don't get why an electromagnetic wave is considered electric and magnetic forces oscilating perpindicular to each other.
by the way, can you tell me where you learned and where i might learn online?

The magnetic force is only a relativistic correction to the electrostatic force, in other words it is the same field. It is a bit complicated to explain why it appears to be a different field without taking special relativity first though.

I recommend you start here:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-02-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2002/video-lectures/

Related to How Are Electric Forces Related to Electromagnetic Waves?

1. What is the source of electric forces?

The source of electric forces is charged particles, such as electrons and protons. These particles exert forces on each other due to their electric charges.

2. How do charged particles create electric forces?

Charged particles create electric forces through their electric fields. Electric fields are created by the presence of charged particles and can exert forces on other charged particles within their vicinity.

3. Are all electric forces attractive?

No, electric forces can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the charges of the particles involved. Like charges (positive-positive or negative-negative) repel each other, while opposite charges (positive-negative) attract each other.

4. Can non-charged objects experience electric forces?

No, non-charged objects do not experience electric forces as they do not have an electric charge. Only charged particles can experience and create electric forces.

5. How does distance affect electric forces?

As the distance between charged particles increases, the strength of the electric force between them decreases. This is known as the inverse-square law, which states that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the particles.