How are gauge bosons created and do they exist virtually everywhere?

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of gauge bosons by fundamental particles and whether they exist virtually everywhere or are activated by the particle's need for force. It is suggested that the gauge bosons exist virtually everywhere and can be created by kicking the quantum fields in the right way. A resource is mentioned for further reading on creating photons from a vacuum.
jerich1000
Sorry for the newbie question. Just slap me and direct me to the right post. I did some searches but couldn't find my answer.

If a fundamental particle must exert one of the fundamental forces against another fundamental particle, are the appropriate gauges boson then created by the first particle, or do all gauge bosons exist "virtually" everywhere anyway and are just "turned on" or activated by the fundamental particle's need for the force?

If the first particle's force "creates" the gauge boson, can such heavy particles be created from nothing because of their short life-span--which is why they're "virtual"?

It seems like these questions are fundamental to modern physics, which is why suspect I'm going to receive some severe slapping.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jerich1000 said:
If a fundamental particle must exert one of the fundamental forces against another fundamental particle, are the appropriate gauges boson then created by the first particle, or do all gauge bosons exist "virtually" everywhere anyway and are just "turned on" or activated by the fundamental particle's need for the force?

I am not sure how to answer in quite the framework you are suggesting, but observe the Feynman diagram for electron-positron annihilation to two photons on this wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron–positron_annihilation

So that's one way to create some gauge bosons.

In some sense yes, the gauge bosons DO exist "virtually" everywhere to begin with (that more or less describes the vacuum), this is quantum field theory so we have quantum fields filling all of space, and you just need to kick them the right way to create real particles out of them.

naima, That was EXACTLY the type of information I needed. The smartest people in the world are those who create posts on this site.

Thanks tons. Or should I say, thank kSlugs.

1. What are gauge bosons?

Gauge bosons are elementary particles that mediate the fundamental forces of nature, such as the electromagnetic, weak, and strong nuclear forces. They are responsible for carrying and exchanging force between particles.

2. How are gauge bosons created?

Gauge bosons are created through interactions between other particles. For example, photons, which are the gauge bosons of the electromagnetic force, are created when an electron and a positron collide and annihilate each other.

3. Can gauge bosons be observed?

Yes, gauge bosons can be observed through high-energy particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, where they are created and detected through their interactions with other particles.

4. Are gauge bosons massless?

Some gauge bosons, such as the photon and the gluon, are massless, while others, such as the W and Z bosons, have mass. The mass of a gauge boson is determined by the strength of its interaction with the Higgs field.

5. What is the role of gauge bosons in the Standard Model?

Gauge bosons play a crucial role in the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. They are responsible for the behavior of matter and the forces that govern the universe.