How are interest payments on IMF loans apportioned among member countries?

In summary, the IMF loans interest on a country's quota, which is then paid to the country. Countries can borrow upto their quota, but if they need to borrow more they must sell bonds to the IMF.
nobahar
Hello!
Not sure of this is the right place for this question, but here it is anyway:
It concerns the International Monetary Fund, I was wondering how the interest on IMF loans are apportioned. I suppose a consideration of how loans are provided is necessary. For example, I do not know if all members of the IMF have to contribute money to the loan. If this is not the case, then I am guessing the interest payment on loans provided by the IMF are apportioned according to the portion contributed by the involved countries. I would think this is the case, but I cannot find any information stating this to be true.
Does anyone know?, citations would also be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Nobahar.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.imf.org/external/np/fin/data/sdr_ir.aspx

The SDR interest rate provides the broad basis by which interest is assessed on Fund loans and credited to Fund investors. Individual rates on special, emergency loans for eligible countries are more flexible; these are defined by contract, and vary largely depending on local factors - ability to pay, financial need, willingness to make other concessions, etcetera.

In practice, members are allocated an SDR quota by wealth. This determines that states interest liability to the IMF, which is then payed by the Fund to actual bearers of the SDR. So the United States might initially be allocated $1 million worth of IMF bonds (and the IMF gets $1 million in dollar currency). The US now holds all of the SDR's, and all of the SDR allocations - if the interest rate were 1%, it would pay itself $10,000 every year.

Now imagine that the US sells $500,000 worth of IMF bonds to Mexico. Mexico now holds half a million in SDR's, while the United States has an allocation of $1 million worth but only holds half a million dollars worth; it must pay $5,000 in interest to the IMF, which distributes that $5,000 to Mexico.

Make sense?

The IMF, in the mean time, is freely making loans with the $1M in capital invested by the United States to other member states, and collecting interest on the same to finance its operations and cover losses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply talk2glenn.
I am confused by this, as it suggests that a country can only borrow upto it's quota.
If there are three countries: A, B and C.
A has the biggest economy, then B, then C.
A contributes 1 million.
B contributes 750,000.
C contirbutes 200,000.
If they all held on to their own, then, as you say, they pay interest to themselves; they essentially pay no interest.
If C needs to borrow 300,000, it can sell its bonds. It only has 200,000 in bonds, which means it cannot raise enough money.
I found the following: "The amount that a country can borrow from the Fund, known as its access limit, varies depending on the type of loan, but is typically a multiple of the country’s IMF quota".
Does this mean it can have a negative quota? If so, then this raises the issue of voting, as I believe the quota determines voting, also.
Any further help appreciated.

The bonds are one means by which member countries can invest excess or borrow scarce capital, but not the only. The IMF is still free to make emergency loans to needy countries using the capital it gets from member countries when allotting the SDR's initially.

So going back to my example, Mexico and the United States now hold half a million dollars in SDR's, the US has the worlds only bond allocation worth $1 million, and a third country, Ghana, is facing a $750,000 budget shortfall and cannot find any new investors to buy its public debt. It turns to the IMF, which agrees to provide stabilization funds if Ghana takes steps to close the gap over the next 12 months. It then loans Ghana $750,000 out of the $1M initially received from the US.

This happens even though Ghana has zero dollars in allocated Fund bonds.

Forgot to thankyou.
Thankyou!

1. What is an IMF loan?

An IMF loan is a loan provided by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to a member country to help stabilize its economy. These loans are typically given to countries facing financial crises or struggling with high levels of debt.

2. How do IMF loans work?

IMF loans are typically given in the form of a financial arrangement, where the borrower (member country) agrees to a set of economic policies and reforms in exchange for the loan. The country receives the funds in installments as it meets the agreed upon conditions.

3. What are the interest rates on IMF loans?

The interest rates on IMF loans vary depending on the type of loan and the borrower's creditworthiness. However, they are typically lower than commercial interest rates and are meant to be affordable for developing countries.

4. How are IMF loan interest payments determined?

IMF loan interest payments are determined by a combination of factors, including the amount borrowed, the interest rate, and the repayment period. The IMF also takes into account the borrower's economic situation and ability to repay the loan when setting the interest rate.

5. Can IMF loan interest payments be deferred?

In certain circumstances, the IMF may allow a borrower to defer interest payments on their loan. This is usually done to provide temporary relief to countries facing economic difficulties. However, interest will continue to accrue during the deferral period and must be repaid eventually.