How are magnets able to attract each other?

• Thread starter sgstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary: There are no regions "north pole", or "south pole", the colors/marks on the magnets are a bit misleading in that respect. Try to separate north and south pole of a magnet: You will get two smaller magnets which have a magnetic field similar to the original one.When you say that the magnetic "poles" attract or repel you have to ask yourself "What is a magnetic pole at all?" When you try to separate north and south pole of a magnet you will get two smaller magnets which have a magnetic field similar to the original one.
sgstudent

Homework Statement

As magnets have two poles, when i place two bar magnets together with opposite poles facing each other besides the two opposite poles attracting each other will the north and south pole on one magnet repel the north and south pole respectively?

Homework Equations

none that i have heard of

The Attempt at a Solution

According to this post i found on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/17hit9/why_can_there_be_attraction/c85qet6 there won't be any repulsion as the magnetic field is 'combined' together. So we cannot use http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/17hit9/why_can_there_be_attraction/c85jt4i to calculate the attraction.

However, I sort of disagree with that as polarized metal objects also have a similar electric field which combines as well http://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S1569441012000624-gr2.jpg while in this situation we still use Coulomb's Law to find out the net force acting on the various object.

Can someone clear up this misconception? Thanks for the help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
As magnets have two poles, when i place two bar magnets together with opposite poles facing each other besides the two opposite poles attracting each other will the north and south pole on one magnet repel the north and south pole respectively?
There are no regions "north pole", or "south pole", the colors/marks on the magnets are a bit misleading in that respect. Try to separate north and south pole of a magnet: You will get two smaller magnets which have a magnetic field similar to the original one.

You can approximate the field of a magnet with hypothetical poles with a magnetic charge - in that case, yes, the S poles from both magnets would repel each other (+the same for N of course), but the force between S and N and N and S would be stronger.

mfb said:
There are no regions "north pole", or "south pole", the colors/marks on the magnets are a bit misleading in that respect. Try to separate north and south pole of a magnet: You will get two smaller magnets which have a magnetic field similar to the original one.

You can approximate the field of a magnet with hypothetical poles with a magnetic charge - in that case, yes, the S poles from both magnets would repel each other (+the same for N of course), but the force between S and N and N and S would be stronger.

Oh the diagram I found was for the polarized metal http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1569441012000624

So what first link said was wrong?

sgstudent said:

Homework Statement

Not only an answer can be wrong... There are wrong questions. The magnets attract or repulse. When you say that the magnetic "poles" attract or repel you have to ask yourself "What is magnetic pole at all? "

The question in the title of the thread "How are magnets able to attract each other?" can be best answered by Feynman: They just do. It is the nature of the magnets.

Watch the video "Richard Feynman. Why."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36GT2zI8lVA&feature=player_detailpage

ehild

ehild said:
Not only an answer can be wrong... There are wrong questions. The magnets attract or repulse. When you say that the magnetic "poles" attract or repel you have to ask yourself "What is magnetic pole at all? " The question in the title of the thread "How are magnets able to attract each other?" can be best answered by Feynman: They just do. It is the nature of the magnets.

Watch the video "Richard Feynman. Why."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36GT2zI8lVA&feature=player_detailpage

ehild

The same video was shown in the reddit comments. 2 last questions before I drop this problem, when the magnets attract, is there any repulsion between the like poles present? And if not why won't there be the repulsion since shouldn't it be similar to an electric field?

Thanks for the help :)

1. How do magnets attract each other?

Magnets attract each other due to the presence of magnetic fields. These fields are created by the alignment of tiny atomic particles called magnetic dipoles, which have a north and south pole. When two magnets are near each other, the magnetic dipoles in one magnet align with the opposite poles of the other magnet, causing them to attract.

2. What causes magnets to have magnetic fields?

Magnets have magnetic fields because of the movement of electrons within the material. Electrons have a property called spin, which creates a tiny magnetic field. In magnets, the majority of electrons have the same spin, causing their magnetic fields to align and create a stronger magnetic field.

3. Why do magnets only attract certain materials?

Magnets only attract certain materials because not all materials have magnetic properties. Only materials with unpaired electrons, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, can be magnetized and attracted to a magnet. Materials with paired electrons, like wood or plastic, are not affected by magnetic fields.

4. Can magnets attract objects through other materials?

Yes, magnets can attract objects through other materials, depending on the strength of the magnetic field and the type of material. For example, a strong magnet can attract a paperclip through a piece of paper because paper is not a magnetic material and does not block the magnetic field.

5. Why do magnets repel each other sometimes?

Magnets repel each other when their poles are the same. This is because the magnetic fields of both magnets are aligned in the same direction, causing them to push away from each other. Like poles repel and opposite poles attract, based on the alignment of the magnetic dipoles within each magnet.