How are other countries notified about rocket launches?

• Thread starter Stormer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary: How a Rocket Company's Accidental Flyby of Russia Caused Some Worries". The Washington Post. 25 January 1995.3. "Norwegian Rocket Incident". CNN. 25 January 1995.4. "Norwegian Rocket Incident: What Happened?". The New York Times. 26 January 1995.5. "Rocket Lab Restricted Airspace Expands to 13,500 Feet Above Mean Sea Level". The New Zealand Herald. 27 January 1995.In summary, Rocket Lab has a restricted airspace that extends to 13,500 feet AMSL. When they request additional airspace for a specific period, it can be denied, but I doubt it ever would be.
Stormer
With increasing numbers of small private rocket companies that is in many cases not based in the USA (so no FAA rules, regulations and procedures) how do they notify their launches so countries does not mistake them for a ballistic missile attack like in the Norwegian rocket incident in 1995 (that was notified but the Russian radar operators did not get the message)? And they have to close the airspace of the rocket trajectory also right?

I see that for example Copenhagen Suborbitals is launching from a military firing practice area so the Danish military probably does that work for them, but what about companies like Rocket Lab that is launching from New Zealand or other small startups that maybe is planning to launch offshore in international waters and so on? And when you launch things into orbit that will pass over many countries.

Physics news on Phys.org
New Zealand (and 192 other nations) are members of the ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization).
So, although New Zealand does not have an FAA, it does have a CAA, Civil Aviation Authority.
That CAA will have equivalent rules for the use of New Zealand airspace - including the management of NOTAMs.

Additional details are provided in this document at the end of page 1: https://www.rocketlabusa.com/assets/Uploads/RL-publicviewingrestrictions-F2.pdf.

I notice that the RocketLab restricted airspace (NZR401) extends to 13,500 feet AMSL (above mean sea level). So activity that occurs entirely within that zone would not require a NOTAM.

Th official NOTAM site for New Zealand is: http://ifis.airways.co.nz/
However, I cannot reach that site.

A list of NOTAM numbers associate with this site is kept by the FAA. Go to this FAA site:https://notams.aim.faa.gov/notamSearch/nsapp.html#/
and search for NZZO.

Last edited:
So they contact their local air authority and they will send out a NOTAM that will then be distributed to all international parties? Is this something they have to make a application and get approval for? Or do they just have to send out the notification that they are going to have a launch at XXX time and date and in XXX direction?

Stormer said:
So they contact their local air authority and they will send out a NOTAM that will then be distributed to all international parties? Is this something they have to make a application and get approval for? Or do they just have to send out the notification that they are going to have a launch at XXX time and date and in XXX direction?
They have already applied for and been granted the restricted airspace.
So their activities are already known and accepted.
When they request additional airspace for a specific period (over 13,500 AMSL), it can be denied - but I doubt it ever would be. This is not terribly different from a pilot asking to enter a TCA (Terminal Control Airspace). It's up to the Air Traffic Control to find a safe way to get him where he wants to get.

The CAA does not really "distribute to all international parties". They publicly post it. As a pilot flying in that area, it is my responsibility to know what the rules are for that restricted area and whether there are any NOTAMs (Notice to Airmen) that will effect my plans. Depending on what kind of flight I am making and the flight conditions (IFR or VFR), I may file a flight plan. If I do, it is normally automatically checked against the lists of restricted airspace, NOTAMs, etc. But you aren't suppose to depend on that.

From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_rocket_incident

Prior notification
The Norwegian and U.S. scientists had notified thirty countries, including Russia, of their intention to launch a high-altitude scientific experiment aboard a rocket; however, the information was not passed on to the radar technicians.[1] Following the incident, notification and disclosure protocols were re-evaluated and redesigned.[1]

1. EUCOM History Office (23 January 2012). "This Week in EUCOM History: January 23–29, 1995". United States European Command. Archived from the original on 5 January 2016. Retrieved 26 January 2016.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_rocket_incident#cite_note-EUCOM-1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_rocket_incident#cite_note-EUCOM-1

1. How do other countries find out about rocket launches?

Other countries are typically notified about rocket launches through official channels such as diplomatic communication, international agreements, or through public announcements by the launching country.

2. How far in advance are other countries notified about rocket launches?

The amount of notice given to other countries about rocket launches varies depending on the type of launch and the agreements in place between the launching country and other countries. Generally, countries are notified months in advance for major launches, but for smaller launches, the notice may be shorter.

3. Are all countries notified about rocket launches?

In most cases, yes. The launching country is responsible for notifying other countries that may be affected by the launch, such as those in the potential flight path or those with nearby airspace. However, there may be exceptions for classified or military launches.

4. How are international space treaties and agreements affected by rocket launches?

International space treaties and agreements play a crucial role in how other countries are notified about rocket launches. These agreements outline the responsibilities and obligations of launching countries to notify and coordinate with other countries, as well as the use of outer space for peaceful purposes.

5. Are there any protocols in place for emergency notifications about rocket launches?

Yes, there are emergency protocols in place for notifying other countries about unexpected or emergency rocket launches. These protocols are outlined in international agreements and typically involve immediate communication through diplomatic channels and emergency notification systems.