How are Superconducting Coils charged?

In summary, superconductors can store energy in the form of magnetic fields by using a power source to charge them. The current in a superconductor can persist indefinitely, allowing for useful power to be obtained. To charge a superconducting solenoid, a heater is used to heat a portion of the wire above the critical temperature, making it resistive so that a normal current source can be used to ramp up the current. Once the desired current is reached, the heater is turned off and the wire becomes superconducting again. Power supplies for superconducting magnets are designed to work with these specific requirements, but it is also possible to use normal electronics to charge a superconducting solenoid.
John Morrell
Superconductors can be used to store energy in the form of magnetic fields, because the current in a superconductor can persist indefinitely. In fact, some large power grids are already using this as a way to regulate power flow in the grid.

My question is how are the coils "charged"? How do we get current into them, and how do we get useful power out of them?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You charge them by attaching them to a power source.
You get useful power out by the same method only in reverse.

The puzzle is that you didn't already figure this out, so I'm guessing you have some objection?

I am guessing the question is really how you get current into a superconducting solenoid if it is a closed loop?
The answer is that you use a heater to heat a piece of the superconducting wire above the critical temperature; this makes it resistive and you can then use a normal current source to ramp up the current in remaining solenoid (no current will flow into the resistive bit since the resistance of the rest of the wire is essentially zero). Once you've reached the desired current you can turn off the heater, when the temperature of the piece of wire goes below Tc it becomes superconducting again and all the current will flow around the (now closed) solenoid, in a well designed magnet the current will decay very, very slowly. This is what is known as persistent mode.

Power supplies meant for superconducting magnets do all of this automatically. However, you can also do it using "normal" electronics. I've built a couple of small solenoids that could be put into persistent mode and they actually worked quite well.

Likes berkeman and John Morrell
f95toli said:
However, you can also do it using "normal" electronics.

What exactly is abnormal about regular superconducting magnet power supplies?

BoB

That makes sense. I didn't initially think of this simply because I thought that it would be really difficult to generate or maintain really high currents in a non-superconducting wire like that for any length of time without melting wires and stuff.

I'm still curious though, if you have a loop already charged up and you want to charge it up further, would you just have to dump all the existing current into your charging device until you could further increase the current?

It's all a bit weird to think of, I guess, because I'm used to power sources applying voltages instead of currents...

rbelli1 said:
What exactly is abnormal about regular superconducting magnet power supplies?

BoB

There is nothing "abnormal" about them. However, they are explicitly designed to work with superconducting solenoids; meaning they are low-voltage (1-2V ) high current (60-120A) supplies with features such outputs for the heater and -more importantly- quench protection. This means that these supplies can not be used to e.g. drive a normal solenoid.

John Morrell said:
I'm still curious though, if you have a loop already charged up and you want to charge it up further, would you just have to dump all the existing current into your charging device until you could further increase the current?

No, the supplies are designed so that you can just turn on the heater; this will then make the current flow via the supply and then you can ramp the current up/down.

1. How are superconducting coils charged?

Superconducting coils are charged using a process called induction. This involves passing an electric current through a coil of wire, which creates a magnetic field. When this magnetic field intersects with the superconducting coil, it induces an electric current in the coil. This electric current charges the coil and creates a magnetic field in the superconductor.

2. What materials are used in superconducting coils?

Superconducting coils are typically made of materials such as niobium, titanium, and tin, which have low electrical resistance and can maintain superconductivity at low temperatures. These materials are often combined to create superconducting alloys, which have even higher superconducting properties.

3. How do superconducting coils maintain their charge?

Superconducting coils maintain their charge due to the phenomenon of superconductivity. This is when certain materials lose all electrical resistance at extremely low temperatures. As long as the superconducting coil remains at these low temperatures, the electric current will continue to flow without any loss of energy.

4. Can superconducting coils be recharged?

Yes, superconducting coils can be recharged by repeating the charging process. However, this may require cooling the coil back down to the extremely low temperatures where superconductivity can occur. Additionally, the materials used in the superconducting coil may have a limit on how many times they can be charged and discharged before their superconducting properties start to degrade.

5. What are the benefits of using superconducting coils?

Superconducting coils have many benefits, including the ability to carry large amounts of electrical current without any resistance, leading to increased efficiency and reduced energy loss. They also have the potential to create incredibly strong magnetic fields, making them useful in applications such as magnetic levitation and medical imaging. Additionally, superconducting coils can be used to store energy, providing a potential solution for renewable energy storage.