How are tidal effects explained by general relativity?

In summary, the concept of gravity as a curvature in space time in general relativity can be understood by visualizing the Earth and two bulges as three objects connected with string. The tidal force is the tension on the string, and the high tide on Earth's opposite side can be explained by the Earth itself being slightly more stretched than the water on that side due to the curvature of spacetime.
Leonardo Muzzi
I can fairly understand the concept of gravity as a curvature in space time in general relativity, but so far I could not understand completely the tidal forces explained by the curvature of spacetime.

When the moon is on one side of the earth, the oceans on this side come closer to the moon, AND the oceans on the opposite side goes far from it, causing high tides on both sides.

Now, I can understand the effect on the opposite side explained by Newtonian gravitation: the Earth itself suffer a force stronger than the water on the opposite side. So far so good. But I cannot explain the same effect thinking in a spacetime curvature. I can see why a more stretched spacetime near the moon would cause high tides on the side directly facing it, but I cannot visualize how the curvature would cause the same effect on the other side.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Relativity is reducible to Newtonian gravity, so they work the same. I find it helpful to visualize the Earth and two bulges as three objects connected with string. The tidal force is the tension on the string.

Leonardo Muzzi said:
I could not understand completely the tidal forces explained by the curvature of spacetime.
"Tidal forces" refers to an effect , where nearby free falling objects converge or diverge. This is visualized in Fig. C below, for two objects falling radially:

DrGreg said:
This is my own non-animated way of looking at it:

curved-spacetime-v2-png.56007.png

• Two inertial particles, at rest relative to each other, in flat spacetime (i.e. no gravity), shown with inertial coordinates. Drawn as a red distance-time graph on a flat piece of paper with blue gridlines.
    • B1. The same particles in the same flat spacetime, but shown with non-inertial coordinates. Drawn as the same distance-time graph on an identical flat piece of paper except it has different gridlines.

B2. Take the flat piece of paper depicted in B1, cut out the grid with some scissors, and wrap it round a cone. Nothing within the intrinsic geometry of the paper has changed by doing this, so B2 shows exactly the same thing as B1, just presented in a different way, showing how the red lines could be perceived as looking "curved" against a "straight" grid.
    • Two free-falling particles, initially at rest relative to each other, in curved spacetime (i.e. with gravity), shown with non-inertial coordinates. This cannot be drawn to scale on a flat piece of paper; you have to draw it on a curved surface instead. Note how C looks rather similar to B2. This is the equivalence principle in action: if you zoomed in very close to B2 and C, you wouldn't notice any difference between them.
Note the diagrams above aren't entirely accurate because they are drawn with a locally-Euclidean geometry, when really they ought to be drawn with a locally-Lorentzian geometry. I've drawn it this way as an analogy to help visualise the concepts.

That's actually a very interesting draw to point out our perception of why particles move the way they do in a curved spacetime.

Still, I cannot understand how this has do to with the high tide on Earth's opposite side relative to the moon.

Giving some thought, I'm imagining the answer is that the Earth itself is a little more stretched in the direction of the moon than the water on the opposite side... maybe...

Leonardo Muzzi said:
I cannot understand how this has do to with the high tide on Earth's opposite side relative to the moon.
If the two particles in Fig. C were connected with a string, it would be stretched. And so is the Earth being stretched along the line radial line.

Last edited:

1. What are tidal effects and why are they important in general relativity?

Tidal effects refer to the difference in gravitational forces experienced by objects at different distances from a massive body. In general relativity, the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects can lead to tidal effects, which are important for understanding the behavior of objects in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

2. How does general relativity explain tidal effects?

In general relativity, the curvature of spacetime is described by the Einstein field equations. These equations relate the distribution of matter and energy to the curvature of spacetime. Tidal effects are explained by the fact that the gravitational force experienced by an object depends on the curvature of spacetime at its location.

3. Can general relativity explain both the Earth's tides and the tides on other celestial bodies?

Yes, general relativity can explain both the Earth's tides and the tides on other celestial bodies. The amount of tidal effects experienced by an object depends on its distance from the massive body and the strength of its gravitational field, both of which are accounted for in general relativity.

4. How do tidal effects affect the orbits of objects in space?

Tidal effects can cause changes in the orbital paths of objects in space, particularly if they are in close proximity to a massive body. This is due to the uneven distribution of gravitational forces caused by the curvature of spacetime, which can cause objects to accelerate or decelerate in their orbits.

5. Can tidal effects be observed and measured in real life?

Yes, tidal effects can be observed and measured in real life. For example, the Earth's tides are a direct result of tidal effects caused by the Moon's gravitational pull. Additionally, precise measurements of the orbits of planets and other celestial bodies have confirmed the predictions of general relativity regarding tidal effects.