How back emf helps in energy conversion in a motor?

In summary, back emf helps in energy conversion in a motor by opposing the applied voltage and limiting armature current, which allows for efficient conversion of electrical energy into mechanical energy. Without back emf, the motor would draw excessive current and potentially damage itself.
razrjay
How back emf helps in energy conversion in a motor?

hello,
I am an engineering student and during the past few days i was searching on the net to clarify my doubts on "motors".So i came across an article and on reading one part of it a doubt arosed in my mind.

Q1)

"To take a practical example, an electric motor running under no load
uses very little power. If the motor were frictionless and
superconducting, it would use no power. This is because the back emf
opposes the imposed voltage."

This was the part of the article.My doubt is that If the motor was frictionless and
superconducting will it rotate and produce mechanical energy??

Q2)Can you tell me how the electrical work done by the applied voltage in overcoming and causing current flow against back emf is possible??

Practically i know that when someone is pushing me in one direction inorder for me to oppose it i need to give an equal and opposite force.That is a push is required to oppose a push..
So using this idea in motors our applied voltage must do an equal amount of work against this back emf.Hence our applied voltage must provide an equal amount of electrical energy to oppose the electrical energy produced by back emf..So if this was the condition can you tell me how this back emf aids in converting electrical energy to mechanical energy?
Q3) What will happen if there was no back emf?

I hope to get a reply soon...

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org

This was the part of the article.My doubt is that If the motor was frictionless and
superconducting will it rotate and produce mechanical energy
As soon as you try and remove any mechanical energy it will slow down, reduce the back emf and so draw current from the supply.

The original statement is saying that if you start a (frictionless) motor and leave it runnign with no load the back emf cancels the supplied voltage and so is equivalent to just disconnecting the motor with a clutch.

mgb phys:
Can you please give a detailed explanation?

A motor under load looks, for the most part, like a resistor. You can just as well consider the back emf as the voltage dropped across a resistor.

The more load you place on the motor, the less its effective resistance, resulting in increased current and power.

razrjay said:
hello,
Q2)Can you tell me how the electrical work done by the applied voltage in overcoming and causing current flow against back emf is possible??

Back or counter emf opposes the terminal voltage and limits armature current. As long as terminal voltage is greater than the induce CEMF current will flow, which it will be.

razrjay said:
hello,
Q3) What will happen if there was no back emf?
Thank you

If there was no CEMF, such as when starting a DC motor, armature current would be extremely high. In this case, starting resistors can be used to limit the initial current surge.

Related to How back emf helps in energy conversion in a motor?

1. What is back EMF in a motor?

Back EMF (electromotive force) is the voltage generated in a motor's winding coil when the motor is running. It is caused by the rotation of the motor's armature in the magnetic field, which creates an opposing voltage that acts against the supply voltage.

2. How does back EMF help in energy conversion?

When back EMF is generated in a motor, it acts as a counterforce to the supply voltage, reducing the overall current and power consumption of the motor. This allows for more efficient energy conversion, as less energy is lost to heat and more is used for mechanical work.

3. What is the role of back EMF in controlling motor speed?

Back EMF is used in motor speed control to maintain a constant speed, regardless of the load on the motor. As the load increases, the back EMF also increases, which reduces the overall voltage and maintains a consistent speed. Without back EMF, the motor would speed up or slow down depending on the load.

4. How does back EMF affect the torque of a motor?

Back EMF has an inverse relationship with the torque of a motor. As back EMF increases, the torque decreases. This is because as the motor speeds up, more back EMF is generated, which reduces the overall current and therefore the torque. This allows for better control and efficiency in the motor's operation.

5. Can back EMF be harmful to a motor?

In some cases, back EMF can be harmful to a motor if it is not properly controlled. If the back EMF is too high, it can cause the motor to lose control and potentially damage the motor's components. However, with proper design and control, back EMF can greatly improve the performance and efficiency of a motor.