How can a point charge exert force on itself?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a reaction force experienced by an accelerated charge, which must be described in terms of EM fields generated by the charge itself. The problem arises when trying to understand how the charge can produce a force on itself, as its world-line never intersects the past light-cone of any point on its path. Various theories and explanations were suggested, including the distortion of electric field lines and the concept of "elastic strings under tension". However, the issue remains unresolved in classical field theories, which view point particles as ill-defined.
maline
An accelerated charge emits radiation and so must lose energy. This implies that it feels a "reaction force" in the direction opposite the motion. Since EM interactions conserve energy/momentum, it must be possible to describe the reaction force in terms of EM fields acting on the charge. These fields must be generated by the charge itself- we may assume that any external fields are uniform.
Now, we know that the fields at any point can be found by integrating a function of the charges & currents along the past (or future) light-cone of that point- the "retarded time" integral. But our particles world-line is of course timelike, so it never intersects the light-cone of any point on the path!
So how can the particle produce a force on itself?

Likes Dr Jon P Harris
Physics news on Phys.org
maline said:

It doesn't.

Care to actually answer the question?

Question has been answered. What you want to hear is where your reasoning fails, right ?

Yes, obviously. Pardon me for being annoyed, but no response at all is clearly better that a response that clearly won't help me.

Well, perhaps V50 will help us out. I've grown accustomed to the idea that there's no point in wanting to know about the self-energy of a point charge (renormalization and all that), but maybe there's a better story to be told !
At least your slight sarcasm demonstrates you care :smile: !

Likes maline
Just to clarify, I am asking about the classical version of the problem. I know there is an ODE for the reaction force in terms of the derivative of the acceleration, but it seems that consistency requires a formulation in terms of the self-field, hence my question: it seems the self-field at the particle's position cannot depend on the history, (and certainly not the third derivative of the position), because the world-line does not intersect the past light-cone.

This is a very tough issue, which is not completely solved and in my opinion hardly ever completely solvable, because classical point particles are ill-defined in relativistic field theories. My favorite paper on the topic at the moment is

http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0508031

Likes QuantumQuest, Dale, mfb and 2 others
maline said:
An accelerated charge emits radiation and so must lose energy. This implies that it feels a "reaction force" in the direction opposite the motion. Since EM interactions conserve energy/momentum, it must be possible to describe the reaction force in terms of EM fields acting on the charge. These fields must be generated by the charge itself- we may assume that any external fields are uniform.
Now, we know that the fields at any point can be found by integrating a function of the charges & currents along the past (or future) light-cone of that point- the "retarded time" integral. But our particles world-line is of course timelike, so it never intersects the light-cone of any point on the path!
Sorry, I am just an amateur scientist, so probably wrong, but my simple perception was that the charge has lines of electric force radiating out in all directions, and all pulling outwards so that the total force is zero. If the charge is suddenly accelerated, the lines are distorted. This is because the new information propagates outward at a finite speed of c. The distortion of the lines is such that they are now pulling back, against the acceleration. Like a ball hitting a net. So we end up doing work against the attraction of the field lines and this energy is lost as radiation. Maybe someone can correct my picture in a simple way?

Likes maline
I recommend reading The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Vol 2, Chapter 28 for an excellent summary of the classical attempts to deal with these questions.

tech99 said:
Sorry, I am just an amateur scientist, so probably wrong, but my simple perception was that the charge has lines of electric force radiating out in all directions, and all pulling outwards so that the total force is zero. If the charge is suddenly accelerated, the lines are distorted. This is because the new information propagates outward at a finite speed of c. The distortion of the lines is such that they are now pulling back, against the acceleration. Like a ball hitting a net. So we end up doing work against the attraction of the field lines and this energy is lost as radiation. Maybe someone can correct my picture in a simple way?
As you said, the lines are radiating out at speed c. So the particle can't possibly catch up with them!
If the particle has a finite radius, then one side can be slowed down by the field of the other side. The question is what happens when or if we let the radius go to zero...

maline said:
As you said, the lines are radiating out at speed c. So the particle can't possibly catch up with them!
If the particle has a finite radius, then one side can be slowed down by the field of the other side. The question is what happens when or if we let the radius go to zero...
Under static conditions, my picture was that the electric field lines just extend out like radial strings and are not moving outward. When acceleration occurs, some of the strings are bent, so that they are at an angle to the charge and no longer apply a balanced pull on the charge. Maxwell's vision of the lines of force was of elastic strings under tension.

Of course, electric fields never actually move. They are just vector-valued functions of position & time, that describe the force on a test particle. "Lines of force" is just a descriptive way of saying "curves that are tangent to the field at each point". But as you mentioned, the influence of charges & currents on the field propagates at speed c. Technically this is true even in the the static case: the field around a charge is kq1q2/R2 "because" the charge was in its position R/c seconds ago, not because it's there now.
As for "elastic strings under tension", I don't see at all what might have been intended by that, so I can't tell you definitively that it's wrong. What I can tell you is that it bears no reseblence to the way fields are normally spoken about & understood, and if you want to study EM you will probably need to drop that idea.

I don't think the point charge can exert force on itself, and I don't see how it could interact with empty space*, so the only thing left is radiation being emitted by other point charges. If we have a retarded wave (arrives after it leaves the source) then there should also be an advanced wave coming from somewhere else (arriving before it leaves the source).

*There would have to be at least one other electron in the universe to absorb the radiation.

David Lewis said:
I don't think the point charge can exert force on itself, and I don't see how it could interact with empty space*, so the only thing left is radiation being emitted by other point charges. If we have a retarded wave (arrives after it leaves the source) then there should also be an advanced wave coming from somewhere else (arriving before it leaves the source).

*There would have to be at least one other electron in the universe to absorb the radiation.
tech99 said:
Under static conditions, my picture was that the electric field lines just extend out like radial strings and are not moving outward. When acceleration occurs, some of the strings are bent, so that they are at an angle to the charge and no longer apply a balanced pull on the charge. Maxwell's vision of the lines of force was of elastic strings under tension.
I have shown a demonstration of a mechanical analogue of radiation. The Slinky represents a conductor, and I have sent a longitudinal wave of compression along it. The string which is hanging represents a static field line from an electron. As the wave on the wire passes, it accelerates the electron, and a transverse ripple is sent out on the static field line, representing radiation. Although this energy leaves the wire at the speed of propagation on the string, the electron still feels a force opposing its acceleration, against which the generator must do work.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/58337586@N08/26137254760/in/dateposted-public/

Just because you constructed a mechanical model of EM fields doesn't make it correct. Field lines are not strings.

Likes mfb
marcusl said:
Just because you constructed a mechanical model of EM fields doesn't make it correct. Field lines are not strings.
It is meant to portray classical physics, such as the views of J J Thompson (who suggested acceleration of a charge as a mechanism of radiation) and Joseph Larmor. The formula which Larmor produced for radiation seems still correct today.

I don't follow. To my knowledge, neither Thomson (no 'p') nor Larmor proposed an elastic string model of EM fields.

In this thread, the model only needs to be realistic enough to answer the OP's question.

marcusl said:
I don't follow. To my knowledge, neither Thomson (no 'p') nor Larmor proposed an elastic string model of EM fields.
The basis of my model is the book "Electromagnetic Vibrations, Waves and Radiation", by Bekefi and Barrett of MIT. Lines of force must be elastic because if two opposite charges move apart the string does not break.

The model has the potential to mislead. Elastic bands immediately bring to mind force, but the behavior is all wrong. The force of an elastic increases linearly with distance between the ends, while the Coulomb force falls quadratically with separation. I think it needs to be discussed with care.

marcusl said:
The model has the potential to mislead. Elastic bands immediately bring to mind force, but the behavior is all wrong. The force of an elastic increases linearly with distance between the ends, while the Coulomb force falls quadratically with separation. I think it needs to be discussed with care.
Agree

maline said:
An accelerated charge emits radiation and so must lose energy.

If we assume only retarded fields:

If the accelerated charged body consists of smaller elements held together and interacting with each other, there indeed will be EM energy propagating out away from the body. This energy is accounted for by decrease of EM energy near the body and decrease of kinetic and internal energy of the particles forming the body - the internal forces do work on each other and resist acceleration.

If the accelerated charged body is point particle, it has no parts and it has nothing to interact with. There is no reason to believe then its radiation by itself is associated with EM energy propagating out away. (Poynting's theorem does not hold in point particles, although Maxwell's equations are fine).

Point particles lead to severe mathematical problems in classical electrodynamics (or any relativistic classical field theory). It simply doesn't make sense. It's always to be defined as a certain limit of extended charged bodies, and one has to take into account the Poincare stresses to hold this extended charged body together. Using a quasi-rigid model, the following paper gives a very nice treatment of the problem:

Likes maline
If we consider the matter of reciprocity between transmitting and receiving antennas, are you saying that the point charge will not move in response to an incoming EM wave? I tend to doubt this.

Of course it will move, and as long as you neglect the "radiation reaction", there's no problem to solve for the equations of motion of this point charge in the given electromagnetic field (including those of incoming em. waves). This is underlying the design of all particle accelerators, including the LHC at CERN!

vanhees71 said:
Point particles lead to severe mathematical problems in classical electrodynamics (or any relativistic classical field theory). It simply doesn't make sense. It's always to be defined as a certain limit of extended charged bodies, and one has to take into account the Poincare stresses to hold this extended charged body together. Using a quasi-rigid model, the following paper gives a very nice treatment of the problem:

The severe mathematical problems are actually due to misuse of the Poynting formulae (quadratic functions of fields). Maxwell's equations as well as the Lorentz force work very well with point particles (Lienard-Wiechert fields of point charge are solutions of Maxwell's equations, and the most used form of the Lorentz force formula assumes particle is point).

Extended charged bodies are different and more complicated, because they have parts and infinite number of degrees of freedom. Limit of their theory does not lead to sane theory of point particles, because the limit does not reflect the fact point particles do not have parts.

tech99 said:
If we consider the matter of reciprocity between transmitting and receiving antennas, are you saying that the point charge will not move in response to an incoming EM wave? I tend to doubt this.

You're right, the particle will respond to external EM field.

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is an idealized model in which all of the electric charge is concentrated at a single point in space. It is often used in physics and engineering to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of charged particles.

2. How can a point charge exert force on itself?

A point charge can exert force on itself through the electric field it creates. According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In the case of a point charge, the distance is effectively zero, resulting in an infinite force of attraction or repulsion.

3. Is it possible for a point charge to exert force on itself?

Yes, it is possible for a point charge to exert force on itself. This phenomenon is known as self-force or self-energy and is a consequence of the infinite force described by Coulomb's Law for a point charge. However, this self-force is typically negligible and does not significantly affect the behavior of the charged particle.

4. Can a point charge exert force on other charges?

Yes, a point charge can exert force on other charges. This is due to the electric field created by the point charge, which exerts a force on any other charged particles in its vicinity. The magnitude and direction of this force depend on the charges and their relative positions.

5. How does the force between two point charges change as the distance between them changes?

The force between two point charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the force increases. This relationship is described by Coulomb's Law and is often visualized using an inverse square law graph.