How Can a Rocket Travel Faster Than the Speed of Light?

• Thread starter Aaron_Shaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, when a rocket travels from Earth to a star 4.5 light years away at a speed of 0.866c, the distance between the two points contracts to 2.25 light years in the rocket's frame of reference. This results in a journey time of 2.595 years, as perceived by the rocket. However, from Earth's frame of reference, the journey takes 5.196 years. This is due to the effects of time dilation, where the rocket's clock appears to tick slower than a clock on Earth. The velocity of the rocket is always less than the speed of light, and no observer sees the rocket moving faster than the speed of light.
Aaron_Shaw
Rocket flies from Earth to a star, 4.5 light years away, at 8.66C (the actual numbers are irrelavent, so they might be wrong). When the rocket gets up to speed, instantly, the distance between Earth and the star contracts to about 2.3 light years. So the journey only takes about 3 years. Bargain.
Then, when the rocket reaches the star and stops, the distance ebtween the star and Earth expands back to normal size - 4.5 light years.

So, the rocket has traveled 4.5 light years in only 3 years. I.e. faster than the speed of light.
This is what i don't understand. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, the rocket has traveled 4.5 light years in only 3 years. I.e. faster than the speed of light.
Just make sure that you take distance and time from the same reference frame. An important point: there is no "reference frame of the rocket", as SR allows only inertial frames. Choose either the "moving" frame or the "stationary" frame, but don't mix them.

Aaron_Shaw said:
As Ich says, if you stick to a single frame of reference for measuring both distance and time you'll always find that the speed is less than light speed. No one observes anything moving at greater than light speeds.

But the quantity that you calculated by mixing Earth frame distance with moving rocket frame time does have its uses--it's called proper velocity (or celerity).

Doc Al said:
As Ich says, if you stick to a single frame of reference for measuring both distance and time you'll always find that the speed is less than light speed. No one observes anything moving at greater than light speeds.

But the quantity that you calculated by mixing Earth frame distance with moving rocket frame time does have its uses--it's called proper velocity (or celerity).
Thanks for the replies guys. Took a break from replying because i had the lurgy and couldn't concentrate.

So... maybe i get it now. Rocket has 3 frames. Stationary at start, moving at C, and stationary at end.

At the start and end nothing is moving, so no speed. In the moving rocket frame the length contracted universe appears to be moving at 8.66C. No problemo.

So, in the stationary rocket frame at the end, the universe has expanded and it appears that a much greater distance has been travelled. This results in an apparent 'proper' speed greater than C?

And does this mean that given speed close enough to C we could cover huge distances in much less time than we'd expect when calculating distance/speed from a stationary point of view?

And then, as the rocket's moving frame is non-intertial, do we assert that the Earth is stationary, and therefore not experiencing time-dilation, so back on Earth everyone is about 5 years older, while the rocket is only 3 years older. And on Earth the observe the same as to them the rocket IS moving and therefore experiencing time dilation.

If, somehow, this is correct so far, then the only thing that's getting me now is why the distance covered experiences length contraction if we've already asserted that the rocket is in motion and the Earth + destination point are stationary.

Aaron_Shaw said:
. When the rocket gets up to speed, instantly, the distance between Earth and the star contracts to about 2.3 light years.

Why do they contract?

I just had a thought...

Is it that the time dilation DOES occur with regards to the moving rocket frame observing earth, BUT, the clocks are offset by the rocket accelerating up to speed (instantly in this case) and decelerating to a stop, so that the end result looks like there was no time dilation?

Ta.

akarian said:
Why do they contract?

Are you asking why I think they contract, because you don't think they would? or just asking about length contraction in general?

Aaron_Shaw said:
Rocket flies from Earth to a star, 4.5 light years away, at 8.66C (the actual numbers are irrelavent, so they might be wrong). When the rocket gets up to speed, instantly, the distance between Earth and the star contracts to about 2.3 light years. So the journey only takes about 3 years. Bargain.
Then, when the rocket reaches the star and stops, the distance ebtween the star and Earth expands back to normal size - 4.5 light years.

This is what i don't understand. Any help would be much appreciated.

If by C you mean the speed of light, then you mean the rocket is moving at 0.866c because the velocity of anything with mass is always less than c.

Now if the distance is 4.5 lightyears in the Earth frame, then in the rocket frame the distance is 4.5*sqrt(1-0.866^2/c^2) = 2.25 lightyears.

The time taken according to the Earth frame is 4.5/0.866 = 5.196 years.

The time taken in the rocket frame taking time dilation into account is 5.196*sqrt(1-0.866^2/c^2) = 2.595 years.

The velocity according to the observer on the rocket is then 2.25/2.598 = 0.866c

Both agree the velocity is 0.866c and no one sees the velocity as greater than c.

He could reason that while he was traveling his clock was ticking slower than when he was stationary OR he could reason that the distance was length contracted while he travelling, but he can not be sure which.

Last edited:

Related to How Can a Rocket Travel Faster Than the Speed of Light?

1. Why am I feeling confused?

Feeling confused can be caused by a variety of factors, such as stress, lack of sleep, or information overload. It is your brain's way of trying to process and make sense of new or conflicting information.

2. How can I stop feeling confused?

To stop feeling confused, try taking a break and relaxing your mind. Engage in activities that can help you clear your mind, such as going for a walk or doing some deep breathing exercises. Also, try to organize your thoughts and prioritize what needs your attention.

3. Is confusion a sign of a cognitive problem?

In most cases, confusion is a temporary state and is not a sign of a cognitive problem. However, if you experience frequent and severe confusion, it is important to consult a medical professional to rule out any underlying conditions.

4. Can confusion be beneficial?

Yes, confusion can be beneficial as it can lead to critical thinking and problem-solving. When we are confused, our brain is actively searching for solutions and new ways of thinking. This can lead to personal growth and learning.

5. How can I prevent confusion in the future?

To prevent confusion in the future, try to stay organized and prioritize your tasks. Take breaks when needed and try to limit distractions. Also, make sure to get enough rest and practice good self-care habits to keep your mind and body healthy.