How Can Academic Counseling Help with My Interest in Studying Mathematics?

It takes years, but fortunately, you have plenty of time for this.In summary, the conversation involves a student struggling with finding interest in mathematics and determining if their questions and research will be of value to the scientific community. The expert advises the student to focus on learning and gaining a solid understanding of their field before attempting to contribute to it.
trees and plants
Hello there.I have a problem about interest studying mathematics.Generally I think I probably have interest in all of math but I do not know if I study a topic for example if it will be interesting to others or if I try to make questions on that topic or connect different topics on that question if it will be of value to try to answer it.How can I fix this problem?Help me because I have this problem I think years now.Thank you.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
To what level have you studied mathematics? What mathematics do you already know?
universe function said:
You mean generally?Or in group theory?I am an undergraduate math student but I read on my free time more math in fields like riemannian geometry,manifolds these days I have started geometric analysis but I have a problem on interest because I explore what I read and I want to make questions on the things I read, connect some of them to form new questions I want to make some efforts to try to answer some questions that are on my interest but also accepted by other mathematicians.I have this problem.
Students normally bring some impetus and much curiosity when they start learning something. It shouldn't be a question "why" and "what for", especially in mathematics which is a theoretical field, in contrast to the descriptive other natural sciences. Maybe you should consider to switch to a field of science which has more direct connections to applications.

If you study e.g. stochastic, then it is very theoretical. Dice, urns and the normal distribution are only simple examples. However, it is necessary for physics and economy, although you might not see that from a mathematical point of view. If you need those connections to the real world, then you should study real world problems instead.

universe function said:
Hello there.I have a problem about interest studying mathematics.Generally I think I probably have interest in all of math but I do not know if I study a topic for example if it will be interesting to others or if I try to make questions on that topic or connect different topics on that question if it will be of value to try to answer it.How can I fix this problem?Help me because I have this problem I think years now.Thank you.
What? What problem? Try again.

Likes Delta2, vela, Mondayman and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
Students normally bring some impetus and much curiosity when they start learning something. It shouldn't be a question "why" and "what for", especially in mathematics which is a theoretical field, in contrast to the descriptive other natural sciences. Maybe you should consider to switch to a field of science which has more direct connections to applications.

If you study e.g. stochastic, then it is very theoretical. Dice, urns and the normal distribution are only simple examples. However, it is necessary for physics and economy, although you might not see that from a mathematical point of view. If you need those connections to the real world, then you should study real world problems instead.
What separates results in math in terms of value and what in physics?And when is a question or its answer of sufficient value for the scientists in these fields?

universe function said:
What separates results in math in terms of value and what in physics?And when is a question or its answer of sufficient value for the scientists in these fields?

You only discover by doing enough mathematics yourself. Sometimes it's as simple as this:

"That's funny. On all these examples, this specific property seems to hold. Is this a coincidence or is there more going on?"

"I want this to be true because then I can prove this other thing I'm interested in."

Likes Delta2
Yes but how will I know if my results in math or physics will be of interest for the scientific journals or the mathematical or physical community?Should I read the journals and from this I will know what is needed?Could you give me some examples of results that were accepted? How will I know if the questions I make will be of interest to other scientists?

universe function said:
Yes but how will I know if my results in math or physics will be of interest for the scientific journals or the mathematical or physical community?Should I read the journals and from this I will know what is needed?Could you give me some examples of results that were accepted? How will I know if the questions I make will be of interest to other scientists?

You should read relevant research articles in your relevant field. These will contain actual research topics where mathematicians are currently working on so you get a clue what are the hot topics.

universe function said:
Yes but how will I know if my results in math or physics will be of interest for the scientific journals or the mathematical or physical community?

Now we're getting to the kernel of the issue. It doesn't really have anything to do with studying, or for that matter, your interests. It's about whether other people will be interested in what you've done.

This may sound harsh, but what you've posted so far is not interesting to experts. Frankly, you don't know what you are talking about and are just stitching words together. I know you want to solve open problems, but this is not the way to do this. What you need to do is to get a solid grounding in the field you want to contribute to - i.e. learn enough so that you know what you are talking about.

It takes years, but fortunately, you have plenty of time for this.

Likes gleem, Delta2 and member 587159
Vanadium 50 said:
Now we're getting to the kernel of the issue. It doesn't really have anything to do with studying, or for that matter, your interests. It's about whether other people will be interested in what you've done.

This may sound harsh, but what you've posted so far is not interesting to experts. Frankly, you don't know what you are talking about and are just stitching words together. I know you want to solve open problems, but this is not the way to do this. What you need to do is to get a solid grounding in the field you want to contribute to - i.e. learn enough so that you know what you are talking about.

Have you read my thread apology?At least I try to read,learn make questions and answer them.I hope I do not mess things up and make confusion for others or myself.

Vanadium 50 said:

In fields like algebraic number theory,diophantine equations, elliptic curves, cohomology I think papers are still accepted still today am I correct?So what makes in math and science fields a paper interesting enough?Is it necessary for it to be like the other papers published in the journal?What we mean by like the others?It is not allowed to propose me some journals in the fields of manifolds, analytic number theory and applied mathematics?If it is allowed, could you propose some journals to read from them?Thank you.

universe function said:
Have you read my thread apology?

Yes, but asking to have the evidence destroyed doesn't mean it never happened.

I told you what you need to do to reach your goals. You don't want to do that. Fine. Your choice.

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes, but asking to have the evidence destroyed doesn't mean it never happened.

I told you what you need to do to reach your goals. You don't want to do that. Fine. Your choice.
I know it happened and I am sorry for that.How much time is needed depends on me I guess, perhaps it can take less time to learn the fields?I do not reject the learning of the fields.

Could you tell what your level of education is?
Are you starting your undergraduate math studies?
Sorry if you already wrote this in another thread I did not see.

universe function said:
I know it happened and I am sorry for that.How much time is needed depends on me I guess, perhaps it can take less time to learn the fields?I do not reject the learning of the fields.
Mathematics as well as all natural sciences are huge buildings meanwhile. You cannot expect to have a BBQ on the roof, if you haven't checked all bricks on the way. Will say, these are long procedures which cannot be shortcut. You have to learn the math, much math, then e.g. mechanics, thermodynamics and electromagnetism, and long, long, long after that, you might get a chance to contribute something to cosmology. And mathematics is not different. You have to build a solid foundation. The rest comes on the way. If we recommended articles in journals, you wouldn't be able to read them. And if you learn everything in order to understand one, you would learn about the bricks top-down which requires 10 times the time you need to learn it bottom-up. You cannot reach the roof without understanding the basement.

Likes symbolipoint and member 587159
S.G. Janssens said:
Could you tell what your level of education is?
Are you starting your undergraduate math studies?
Sorry if you already wrote this in another thread I did not see.
I am an undergraduate math student at university.Unfortunately I have delayed my graduation and stayed some more years at the math school.I feel bad about it.I have problems with solving exercises in math and physics.I memorise things theorems proofs and other things this is not my problem I think.Solving exercises is the problem.I know some classical mechanics from an introductory book to this topic, I try to learn on my own other math and physics from textbooks or articles and journals on my free time.On general relativity I know some things, tensor analysis some very basic things, the courses in the math department I am registered I try to learn them and I hope I at least pass the courses and get my degree.I know other things from other fields but I have not studied them systematically.What do I do wrong?

universe function said:
I am an undergraduate math student at university.Unfortunately I have delayed my graduation and stayed some more years at the math school.I feel bad about it.I have problems with solving exercises in math and physics.I memorise things theorems proofs and other things this is not my problem I think.Solving exercises is the problem.I know some classical mechanics from an introductory book to this topic, I try to learn on my own other math and physics from textbooks or articles and journals on my free time.On general relativity I know some things, tensor analysis some very basic things, the courses in the math department I am registered I try to learn them and I hope I at least pass the courses and get my degree.I know other things from other fields but I have not studied them systematically.What do I do wrong?
Academic counseling from one or two people at the department which you attend is necessary.

Likes trees and plants
symbolipoint said:
Academic counseling from one or two people at the department which you attend is necessary.
On my first year I learned about the academic advisor I had, I went to her office.She helped me and I went there other times too, I talked about the courses but not something really specific or important or very helpful. This is the big mistake I made.I should better talk to her and communicate with her and she can help and guide me. This is an academic opportunity, I should not let it just go and lose it.I have learned more things now from then, at that time I think I was afraid, anxious, worried and did not know what exactly to ask.Now I think I can be more specific and exact at my questions and topics to discuss on the courses, grades, studying, exercises to solve, future goals after graduation and other things.Thank you very much.

1. How can academic counseling help me improve my understanding of mathematical concepts?

Academic counseling can provide personalized support and guidance to help you identify your strengths and weaknesses in mathematics. They can also offer strategies and resources to help you better understand and apply mathematical concepts.

2. Can academic counseling help me develop better study habits for mathematics?

Yes, academic counseling can assist you in developing effective study habits and time management skills specifically for the subject of mathematics. They can also provide tips and techniques for staying organized and focused while studying.

3. Will academic counseling help me if I am struggling with a specific math class?

Yes, academic counseling can offer individualized support for specific math classes that you are struggling with. They can provide additional resources, practice problems, and one-on-one tutoring to help you improve in that particular class.

4. Can academic counseling help me choose a career path in mathematics?

Absolutely. Academic counselors can discuss your interests and goals in mathematics and provide guidance on potential career paths within the field. They can also offer information on different degree programs and job opportunities in mathematics.

5. How can academic counseling help me stay motivated to study mathematics?

Academic counseling can help you stay motivated by providing support and encouragement along your academic journey. They can also offer tips and techniques for staying motivated, such as setting achievable goals and celebrating your progress.