How can an increase in area cause a decrease in drift speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between current, cross-sectional area, and electron drift velocity in a copper wire. It is stated that according to the equation I=nAve, the average drift velocity of electrons is inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area of the conductor. The conversation also mentions the possibility of varying the voltage to maintain a constant current, but notes that this may not always be true. The analogy of water flow in pipes is used to explain the concept.
MBBphys
Gold Member

Homework Statement

We have:
I=nAve
Imagine a copper wire with a constant current through it:
I=constant
e=constant
n (for copper)=constant

Hence, we obtain:

A is inversely proportional to electron drift velocity.

My question is: how does that make sense? Why would the cross sectional area increasing lead to the electron drift velocity decreasing?

Thanks

Homework Equations

I=nAve

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you had a pipe carrying water at a rate of 100 gallons per minute.

A second pipe also carries water at 100 gallons per minute, but has twice the cross-sectional area. How does the speed of the water in the second pipe compare to the speed in the first pipe?

Likes berkeman
Ah. Now I get it; the second pipe can carry a larger volume, so it has to reduce the speed to keep the discharge of 100 gallons per minute constant. How silly of me!

Thank you very much

MBBphys said:
Imagine a copper wire with a constant current through it:
I=constant
e=constant
Actually, the first equation "I=constant" is sufficient for answering the question. Given a constant current, the average drift velocity of the electrons is inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area of the conductor.

The second equation "e=constant" will not be true in general when you vary the cross-sectional area of a conductor. Doing so will vary the resistance of the conductor, so to maintain a constant current I, the voltage "e" will need to change. :smile:

berkeman said:
The second equation "e=constant" will not be true in general when you vary the cross-sectional area of a conductor. Doing so will vary the resistance of the conductor, so to maintain a constant current I, the voltage "e" will need to change.

I believe "e" here stands for the magnitude of the electric charge of an electron.

TSny said:
I believe "e" here stands for the magnitude of the electric charge of an electron.
LOL. :smile:

If they start varying that in future problems, I'd be a little worried... :wink:

berkeman said:
If they start varying that in future problems, I'd be a little worried... :wink:
:biggrin:

1. How does an increase in area affect the speed of particles in a drift current?

An increase in area causes a decrease in drift speed because it results in a larger cross-sectional area for the particles to pass through. This means that the same number of particles must spread out over a larger area, leading to a decrease in the overall speed of the particles.

2. Why do larger particles experience a greater decrease in drift speed with an increase in area?

Larger particles have a larger cross-sectional area compared to smaller particles, so an increase in overall area affects them more significantly. This is because they have a greater surface area that comes into contact with the surrounding medium, resulting in more resistance and a lower drift speed.

3. Can an increase in area cause a complete halt in drift current?

No, an increase in area will always result in a decrease in drift speed, but it will not cause a complete halt in the drift current. As long as there is a driving force, such as an electric field, the particles will continue to move, although at a slower speed.

4. What other factors besides area can affect the speed of particles in a drift current?

The speed of particles in a drift current can also be affected by the strength of the driving force, the properties of the medium through which they are moving, and the size and charge of the particles themselves. These factors can all influence the resistance and drag experienced by the particles, and therefore their overall speed.

5. How does an increase in area affect the density of particles in a drift current?

An increase in area causes a decrease in the density of particles in a drift current. This is because the same number of particles must spread out over a larger area, leading to a lower concentration of particles per unit area. However, the total number of particles in the drift current remains the same, as long as there is no addition or removal of particles.