How Can Comsol Model Time and Space Varying Pressure in Laser Shock Peening?

In summary, the speaker is struggling to apply a pressure function in Comsol, which is a software used for simulation. They mention that many people use Abaqus for this type of simulation, but using Comsol may be more realistic. Comsol allows for modeling of laser-material interaction and can also model heat transfer and mechanical effects, with the option to add custom PDEs for unsupported physical phenomena.
mozer911
TL;DR Summary
Hello, is it possible to simulate laser shock peening process in comsol?
Hello, I am trying to learn comsol but I couldn't find how to apply the pressure that changes respect to time and space.

I have pressure function from articles that I read but couldn't implemented on comsol,

and in most studies people make the simulation with Abaqus software so I am not sure that I can make same in comsol.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Modeling this in Comsol should be not only possible but also more realistic than in Abaqus. To simulate such process in Abaqus you have to apply time- and spatially-varying pressure while Comsol allows you to model laser-material interaction directly. It’s meant for heat transfer effects but there’s a good chance it will work with mechanical effects as well (maybe after some modifications - Comsol even allows you to add your own PDE’s to model various unsupported physical phenomena).

• Informative
Likes berkeman
FEAnalyst said:
Modeling this in Comsol should be not only possible but also more realistic than in Abaqus. To simulate such process in Abaqus you have to apply time- and spatially-varying pressure while Comsol allows you to model laser-material interaction directly. It’s meant for heat transfer effects but there’s a good chance it will work with mechanical effects as well (maybe after some modifications - Comsol even allows you to add your own PDE’s to model various unsupported physical phenomena).
thank you for your reply

Likes berkeman

1. What is laser shock peening and how does it work?

Laser shock peening is a surface treatment technique used to improve the mechanical properties of materials. It involves using a high-energy laser to create a shock wave on the surface of a material, which causes compressive residual stresses to form. These stresses help to increase the material's strength and resistance to fatigue and corrosion.

2. How can I model laser shock peening using COMSOL?

COMSOL is a finite element analysis software that allows for the simulation of various physical phenomena, including laser shock peening. To model laser shock peening in COMSOL, you will need to define the material properties, laser parameters, and boundary conditions. You can then run the simulation to obtain results such as residual stress distribution and material deformation.

3. What are the benefits of using laser shock peening?

Laser shock peening offers several benefits, including improved fatigue life, increased strength, and enhanced resistance to corrosion and wear. It can also be used to repair damaged or worn parts, extending their lifespan and reducing the need for replacements. Additionally, laser shock peening is a non-contact process, making it suitable for treating delicate or complex components.

4. Are there any limitations to using laser shock peening?

While laser shock peening has many advantages, it also has some limitations. One limitation is the size of the components that can be treated, as the size of the laser spot limits the depth of the treated area. Additionally, the process can cause thermal damage to the surface of the material, which may need to be addressed through post-treatment methods.

5. What are some applications of laser shock peening?

Laser shock peening has a wide range of applications in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, and medical. It is commonly used to improve the fatigue life of aircraft components, such as turbine blades and landing gear. It can also be used to enhance the durability of automotive parts, such as engine components and gears. In the medical field, laser shock peening is used to improve the surface properties of orthopedic implants, making them more biocompatible and durable.