How can 'd' mean two different things?

In summary, the d symbol is used to represent an infinitesimal change in a quantity and the dM symbol is used to represent a small amount of a quantity.
EddiePhys
d is sometimes used to represent an infinitesimal change in a quantity and sometimes a small amount of a quantity. E.g dx vs dM. dV could mean a small volume element and also an infinitesimal change in volume. How can it be used for two different things?

My suspicion is that while converting Riemann sums into an integral, quantities inside the sigma like the finite mass mi of something is converted to dm for the sake of convenience and less notational clutter.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The number of letters in the alphabet is finite, and there is no central authority for the use of letters. Most letters have more than one meaning, and you need context to figure out what is meant. "d" is often used as prefix for small or infinitesimal things, but it is also used as (macroscopic) length, for a day, as SI prefix, circle diameter, ...

Likes Dale
mfb said:
The number of letters in the alphabet is finite, and there is no central authority for the use of letters. Most letters have more than one meaning, and you need context to figure out what is meant. "d" is often used as prefix for small or infinitesimal things, but it is also used as (macroscopic) length, for a day, as SI prefix, circle diameter, ...

So whatever meaning it had in the Riemann sum, is the meaning in the interval? E.g if Δx meant a small interval/length in the Riemann sum, dx would mean the infinitesimal length

EddiePhys said:
So whatever meaning it had in the Riemann sum, is the meaning in the interval? E.g if Δx meant a small interval/length in the Riemann sum, dx would mean the infinitesimal length

Yes, it may mean that. Perhaps it probably means that. But there is no 100% guarantee. You have to look at the entire context.

It is easy for innocent notation to run into trouble. Suppose you had a d axis, what would you call the infinitesimal length in the d direction?.

Electrical engineers use I to mean current. In complex arithmetic, nearly everyone but electricals use ##i## to mean ##\sqrt{-1}##, but to avoid the ugliness of ##iI##, electricals use ##j## for ##\sqrt{-1}##.

You can't depend on others to say with certainty what the symbol d means in whatever you're reading without showing the entire context.

Likes EddiePhys
My favorite story about this is that you can somewhat tell what kind of STEM person a person is by just asking them to define e
physicist: energy
electrical engineer: voltage
mathematician: the base of the natural logs

Why would anyone expect a letter to mean the same thing at all times to all people?

Likes FactChecker, davenn and anorlunda
phinds said:
My favorite story about this is that you can somewhat tell what kind of STEM person a person is by just asking them to define e
physicist: energy
electrical engineer: voltage
mathematician: the base of the natural logs

Why would anyone expect a letter to mean the same thing at all times to all people?
anorlunda said:
Yes, it may mean that. Perhaps it probably means that. But there is no 100% guarantee. You have to look at the entire context.

It is easy for innocent notation to run into trouble. Suppose you had a d axis, what would you call the infinitesimal length in the d direction?.

Electrical engineers use I to mean current. In complex arithmetic, nearly everyone but electricals use ##i## to mean ##\sqrt{-1}##, but to avoid the ugliness of ##iI##, electricals use ##j## for ##\sqrt{-1}##.

You can't depend on others to say with certainty what the symbol d means in whatever you're reading without showing the entire context.
Thanks, I got it.

EddiePhys said:
d is sometimes used to represent an infinitesimal change in a quantity and sometimes a small amount of a quantity. E.g dx vs dM. dV could mean a small volume element and also an infinitesimal change in volume. How can it be used for two different things?

My suspicion is that while converting Riemann sums into an integral, quantities inside the sigma like the finite mass mi of something is converted to dm for the sake of convenience and less notational clutter.
I think this can be resolved when you realize that dy, dV, dA (length, volume or area) etc all represent the limit as the independent variable step (δx) goes to zero. (d is an Operator) Once you have got to the differential dy/dx,dv/dx order/dx, the actual geometry of the situation has been left behind. (The "clutter" disappears due to the right manipulation and the d operator is common to all)
In my first (and very pernickety) introduction to Differential Calculus, we would arrive at a triangle or other shape, when doing it graphically, using the δ symbol. We were only 'allowed' to get to the d symbol by strictly taking the limit of the expression containing δ. In doing that, it is acceptable to eliminate terms like (δx)2.
I remember our teacher being very disparaging about the Quick and Dirty derivations that some other courses used.

1. How can 'd' have two different meanings in words?

The letter 'd' is a consonant in the English alphabet that can represent two different sounds. Its first sound is a voiced dental or alveolar stop, which is made by pressing the tongue against the back of the upper teeth. Its second sound is a voiced alveolar nasal, which is made by lowering the back of the tongue to create a passage for air to flow through the nose.

2. Why does 'd' sometimes make a 'd' sound and other times make a 'n' sound?

The pronunciation of 'd' in words is influenced by its position in relation to other letters and the sounds they create. When 'd' is between two vowels, it typically makes a 'd' sound. However, when 'd' is followed by a consonant, it can make a 'n' sound. This is known as assimilation, where the sound of one letter is influenced by the sound of another letter.

3. Are there any patterns or rules for when 'd' makes a 'd' sound versus a 'n' sound?

While there are some general patterns and rules for the pronunciation of 'd' in words, there are also many exceptions. For example, 'd' usually makes a 'd' sound when it is at the beginning or end of a word, but there are some exceptions such as 'Wednesday' and 'grand'. It is important to learn the pronunciation of words individually rather than relying solely on patterns and rules.

4. How can I determine the correct pronunciation of a word with 'd' in it?

The best way to determine the correct pronunciation of a word with 'd' in it is to listen to native speakers or consult a reputable dictionary. Many dictionaries include the pronunciation of words using the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), which can help you understand the specific sounds associated with each letter in a word. Additionally, listening to audio recordings or practicing with a language tutor can also help improve your pronunciation.

5. Are there any other letters that can have multiple sounds like 'd'?

Yes, there are several other letters in the English alphabet that can have multiple sounds. For example, the letter 'c' can make a hard 'k' sound or a soft 's' sound, depending on the word. The letter 'g' can also make a hard 'g' sound or a soft 'j' sound. It is important to learn the various sounds that each letter can make in different words in order to improve your understanding and pronunciation of the English language.