How can I access event data for LHCb calorimeters?

In summary: HEP is a highly collaborative field and data sharing is a integral part of that collaboration.In summary, if you want to do a project using machine learning on the calorimeter event data of the LHCb, you should ask your supervisor. It is difficult to navigate your way through the source code on your own, and most experiments do not respond favorably to requests for data sharing.
It's me
I want to do a project using machine learning on the calorimeter event data of the LHCb. How can I access this data? Is it very difficult to navigate your way through the source code on your own?

Physics news on Phys.org
Join the LHCb collaboration and ask your supervisor.

If LHCb decides to make calorimeter data public, they will provide tools and guides how to work with it, but as far as I know that didn’t happen so far.

Why did you choose calorimeters, and why LHCb?

I forgot to mention that I was working with my supervisor and he can give me access, but he made it clear that he won't help me understand the code. He was the one who chose calorimeters and LHCb. I just need to know if once I have access there is any way I can make sense of it if I have no help. If not, I'll choose a different master's thesis.

If your supervisor won't help you with the task, choose a different task (or, better, choose a different supervisor). You can't expect a supervisor to go through the software with you line by line, but some advice which tool to use and where it is documented should be given.

LHCb has software to study calorimeter signals. I don't know what exactly the idea is and the tools you need will depend on that.

Actually he said he can't even tell me where it is documented because he's never worked on what he wants me to do, he just wants me to figure it all out on my own. So do you think I should choose a different project with a different supervisor?

It's me said:
he just wants me to figure it all out on my own.
Why would he be your supervisor if he doesn't do any supervision?

I don't know you, I don't know your supervisor, how difficult it would be to change that, or all the other things to consider here, so it is difficult to give advice, but I would at least consider that option.

mfb said:
Why would he be your supervisor if he doesn't do any supervision?

This.

Additionally, there is the HEP culture. Most experiments do not respond favorably to requests like "Now that you've built the detector, debugged the detector, took the data, calibrated it, filtered and processed it, now I'd like a copy of it to analyze myself."

1. How do I access event data for LHCb calorimeters?

To access event data for LHCb calorimeters, you will need to have a valid account on the CERN computing network. Once you have an account, you can use the LHCb software framework to access and analyze the data.

2. What type of data is available for LHCb calorimeters?

The LHCb calorimeters record energy deposits from particles produced in collisions at the Large Hadron Collider. This data includes information on the energy, position, and time of the particles, as well as the type of particle and its trajectory.

3. Are there any restrictions on accessing LHCb calorimeter data?

Access to LHCb calorimeter data is restricted to authorized researchers who have been granted access by the LHCb collaboration. Additionally, the data may only be used for scientific research purposes and cannot be shared with non-authorized individuals.

4. How can I download LHCb calorimeter data?

LHCb calorimeter data can be downloaded through the LHCb software framework, using tools such as the LHCb application manager (LbApp) or the Grid application manager (Ganga). These tools allow for efficient downloading and processing of large amounts of data.

5. Can I access real-time data from the LHCb calorimeters?

No, real-time data from the LHCb calorimeters is not accessible to external researchers. Only authorized members of the LHCb collaboration have access to real-time data for monitoring and control purposes.