How Can I Account for Wind Loading in Calculating Buckling Load on a Beam?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the buckling load on a beam carrying pipes and incorporating wind loading. The speaker suggests using Bernoulli's equation to calculate wind loading as a distributed load in the horizontal direction. They also mention finding the design wind speed and using a code to determine the force, stress, and safety factor for the structure. The conversation concludes by noting that compressive loads are typically the worst case scenario.
Banana-Man
Hi all,
I have recently been asked to calculate the Buckling load on a beam (channel) carrying pipes, (Eulers critical load) this was no problem. Then i was asked to allow for wind loading.. I can not for the life of me figure out how to do this?

Any tips for me?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is your undergrad degree in engineering or physics? If so, wind loading is the velocity pressure (Bernoulli's equation) at the design wind speed for your area times the coefficient of drag times the projected area of whatever the wind is blowing on. Wind loading is a distributed load, and normally in the horizontal direction.

I think the wind will apply a bending load to the beam at the same time as the compressive load. Steps might be,
1) Find the design wind speed. Depending on the level of security required, it might be the once in 50 year 3 second gust. You should be able to find a code enabling you to find this for your location. Typical value is 100mph.
2) Then calculate the wind pressure and the projected area and shape/drag coefficient of the structure, (typical 40 psf in Imperial) and so find the force.
3) Find the stress in the members by analysis.
4) Allow a safety factor by finding the permissible stress in each member from a code.
5) Usually, compressive loads are the worst case.

1. What is buckling with wind loading?

Buckling with wind loading is a phenomenon that occurs when a structure, such as a building or bridge, is subjected to strong winds. This can cause the structure to bend or buckle, potentially leading to structural failure.

2. How does wind affect buckling?

Wind creates pressure on the surface of a structure, causing it to deflect and potentially buckle. As wind speed increases, the pressure on the structure also increases, making it more susceptible to buckling.

3. What factors influence buckling with wind loading?

Several factors can contribute to buckling with wind loading, including the shape and geometry of the structure, the material properties, and the wind speed and direction. Other factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

4. How is buckling with wind loading prevented?

Structural engineers use various techniques to prevent buckling with wind loading, such as designing structures with appropriate stiffness and strength, incorporating wind-resistant features and using wind tunnel testing to analyze the effects of wind on the structure.

5. Can buckling with wind loading be predicted?

Yes, buckling with wind loading can be predicted using mathematical models and computer simulations. However, there are many variables and uncertainties involved, so it is important for engineers to use conservative estimates and safety factors in their designs.