How can I better adjust myself to the American industry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles of a 3rd year mechanical engineering student who is interested in pursuing a career in nanotechnology. They have extensive project experience and have contacted numerous companies and individuals for opportunities, but have received little help or support. They are unsure of how to network and gain lab experience in the field. The conversation also raises questions about qualifications and location for nanotechnology jobs.
unique_persona
Hello,
I am a 3rd mechanical engineering major who is heavily interested into going into the nanotechnology field. I chose mechanical engineering because it is a very broad and powerful field. I have heavily interested in nanotechnology and I would love to pursue that field for a career; however I am having little to no luck actually getting anyone to even talk to me.

I have done my research and I have learned that nanotechnology is a field heavily associated with M.E.s . I have talked to retired defense engineers who have stated that the field isn't new to them because they have worked with nano-tech for decades; however it is now gaining the interest of other industries.

I have quite a bit of M.E. project experience; however I am have the worst luck trying to gain nano-tech lab or research experience. I have contacted hundreds of professors across, companies, labs, universities etc, across the country but I have received very little replies.

I have contacted many people in my university (professors, career center, etc), companies around me, and some former engineers but none have been of much help. Few have told me to just stay on the path of typical mechanical engineers and stick to cars, boats and “stupid” toys as they put it. It seems as if other professions don't want engineers to come into their field.

I have tried to connect with people on linkedin; however very few have replied and the ones who have are not engineers and have no idea what I should do. Most just say best of luck and move on while I keep searching for an opportunity.

How can I reach out to the scientific community..I feel as if there is a force field allowing certain people in but not me.
Is there anyone who can help me? Or should I do as others say and give up on this path?

I am at my wits end and I am ready to give up. I do not want to continue chasing and empty dream and I am losing motivation very fast.

What should I do? How do I network? How can I better adjust myself to the American industry which is soley based on who you know not what you know?

Sorry if I seem upset... I am just not able to mentally keep up anymore.

Thank you for reading and replying

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all don't give up. It sounds like you're doing a lot right. Luck and timing can be everything. Keep networking with people. Keep working on your skills. You'll land a job that will set you on the path to your dream job at some point. It may take a year or two.

unique_persona,

I don't know about nanotechnology, but I think you'll get better advice if you explain how much you already know about nanotechnology.

Are you already qualified to apply or research nanotechnology and seeking a job doing that? Or are you not yet qualified and seeking to get education?

Stephen Tashi said:
unique_persona,

I don't know about nanotechnology, but I think you'll get better advice if you explain how much you already know about nanotechnology.

Are you already qualified to apply or research nanotechnology and seeking a job doing that? Or are you not yet qualified and seeking to get education?
I have 3.5 years of mechanical lab experience, 2 years of work work experience, and I have completed about 7 majors projects; however I need lab experience and no one is willing to help.

Greg Bernhardt said:
First of all don't give up. It sounds like you're doing a lot right. Luck and timing can be everything. Keep networking with people. Keep working on your skills. You'll land a job that will set you on the path to your dream job at some point. It may take a year or two.
I am trying my hardest not to give up. I have been trying for 2 years and not much to show for us. I am getting embarrassed to hand people my resume because I know that the reply is going to be a no.

-I applied to 67 interships ...not one
-119 scholarships...not one
-45 lab volunteering attempts..not one
-Failed questioning attempts... 74
-my morale...0
-positive outlook...next to none
-connections...none (I am a first generation)
-Honors society...more liberal arts, nursing, or business based
-family support...0
-friends support...next to nothing
-Career center help...0
-Professional help...0I am trying not yo give up..but I am close to it.

To the OP:

First of all, you haven't stated where you are located. Assuming that you are based in the US, then the companies specializing in work related to nanotechnology is concentrated very heavily in only a handful of locations (primarily in California and Texas, from what I've read online). From what I've heard, companies are frequently reluctant to hire anyone who are not currently pursuing graduate studies (either a MS or a PhD) in the field.

I am also curious as to what your overall GPA is at the moment. I suspect that research positions in nanotech could be highly competitive in your department, so perhaps that might explain the lack of response. If I were you, I would move away from nanotech research experience and focus more on areas like control theory, robotics, or MEMS, where demand in both industry and research is more extensive based on people I know in ME and EE. Experience in these areas can mesh rather nicely to future research in nanotech if you decide you want to continue down that path.

Related to How can I better adjust myself to the American industry?

1. How can I improve my communication skills in the American industry?

Effective communication is crucial in the American industry. To improve your communication skills, practice active listening, speak clearly and concisely, and use appropriate body language. Additionally, familiarize yourself with American business culture and etiquette to better understand your colleagues' communication styles.

2. What are some ways to adapt to the fast-paced nature of the American industry?

The American industry is known for its fast-paced and competitive environment. To adapt, prioritize tasks, learn to multitask efficiently, and maintain a positive attitude under pressure. Additionally, continuously seek opportunities for growth and stay updated on industry trends to stay ahead of the game.

3. How can I build a strong professional network in the American industry?

Networking is essential in the American industry. Attend industry events, conferences, and seminars to meet professionals in your field. Use social media platforms like LinkedIn to connect with colleagues and potential employers. Additionally, always maintain a professional and positive online presence to showcase your skills and accomplishments.

4. What are some strategies for adapting to the work culture in the American industry?

The American work culture values efficiency, productivity, and independence. To adapt, take initiative in your work, meet deadlines, and be self-motivated. Also, be open to feedback and continuously seek ways to improve your skills. Building strong relationships with colleagues and managers can also help you thrive in the American work culture.

5. How can I stay updated with changes and advancements in the American industry?

The American industry is constantly evolving, so it's essential to stay updated with industry changes and advancements. Stay informed by reading industry publications and websites, attending conferences and seminars, and networking with professionals in your field. Additionally, continuous learning and professional development can also help you stay updated and competitive in the industry.