How Can I Calculate the Differential Cross-Section for Bremsstrahlung Emission?

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment to measure the differential cross section (DCS) in gold for bremsstrahlung emission by electrons. The goal is to determine the DCS for a 1.9 MeV electron beam at an emission angle of 30 degrees, with an emitted photon energy of around 720 keV. The beam's electric current is constant at 0.3 microamps, and the target is a gold slab with a mass thickness of 130 micrograms per square centimeter and a mass density of 19.32 grams per cubic centimeter. The detector is 1.3 meters away from the target, and the collimator aperture has a radius of 0.240 cm. The
Jock Flannigan
Hello guys!

I was wondering if you can help me out with the differential cross section. We set up an experiment to measure the DCS in gold of the bremsstrahlung emission by electrons. The goal is to determine:
## \frac{d\sigma}{dW d\Omega} ## (1)​
for a 1.9 MeV electron beam at an angle of emission of 30##^{\circ}##. However only for when the energy of the emitted photon is around 720 keV.
I know the beam electric current is constant during the duration and equals 0.3 ##\mu A##, the target is a gold slab of mass thickness 130 ##\mu g /cm^{2}## with a mass density ##19.32 g / cm^{3}##. The detector is 1.3m from the target. The collimator aperture is circular with a radius of 0.240 cm. The beam is on for 5min. The number of photons detected is 1423.

I am not asking to solve it, but if you can give me few hints on how to do it. Also if you can explain the individual elements of the equation (1)

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did your detector take care about the energy range? What is the range of energies it covered?

Every book about particle physics covers those basic differential cross-section problems in an early chapter. The equation does not really have individual elements - it is the cross-section per energy range (of the photon I guess) and solid angle.
As it is just a large multiplication/division of all the quantities, the question is very homework-like. I moved this thread to the homework question.

1. What is differential cross-section?

Differential cross-section is a measure used in physics to describe the likelihood of a particle interacting with another particle or field. It is a function of the angle and energy of the particles, and it represents the probability of a specific interaction occurring.

2. How is differential cross-section calculated?

Differential cross-section is calculated by dividing the number of interactions that occur with a specific angle and energy range by the total number of particles in that range. This calculation takes into account the size and shape of the particles, as well as the intensity of the interaction between them.

3. What is the unit of measurement for differential cross-section?

Differential cross-section is typically measured in units of area, specifically in barns (b). One barn is equal to 10^-28 square meters, making it a very small unit of measurement.

4. How is differential cross-section used in experiments?

Differential cross-section is a crucial measurement in particle physics experiments. It allows scientists to understand the properties of particles and their interactions with other particles or fields. By measuring the differential cross-section, scientists can validate or disprove theories and gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

5. What factors can affect the value of differential cross-section?

The value of differential cross-section can be affected by several factors, including the energy and angle of the particles, the size and shape of the particles, and the strength of the interaction between them. It can also be influenced by environmental factors such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, the type of particles involved and their intrinsic properties can also impact the value of differential cross-section.