How can I calculate the energy of a body of mass?

In summary, the mass and energy of a body can be used to calculate the constant c2 using the equation E = mc2. However, in modern times, c is defined to have a specific value and cannot be calculated from other quantities or experiments. Instead, the rest mass of the body can be measured and multiplied by c2 to determine its rest energy.
DLeuPel
Since E = mc2 the if I know the mass and the energy I can figure out the constant c2, but how do I know how much energy does the body have ? How do I calculate it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
DLeuPel said:
Since E = mc2 the if I know the mass and the energy I can figure out the constant c2, but how do I know how much energy does the body have ? How do I calculate it ?

Normally you would measure its rest mass, ##m##, and multiply by ##c^2##. That would give you the rest energy, ##E##.

These days ##c## is defined to have a certain value. So, you don't calculate it from other quantities, or from experiment.

Likes Dale
PeroK said:
Normally you would measure its rest mass, ##m##, and multiply by ##c^2##. That would give you the rest energy, ##E##.

These days ##c## is defined to have a certain value. So, you don't calculate it from other quantities, or from experiment.
thanks

1. How do I calculate the gravitational potential energy of an object?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. Make sure to use consistent units of measurement for accurate results.

2. What is the formula for kinetic energy?

The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity of the object. Again, make sure to use consistent units of measurement.

3. Can I calculate the energy of an object in motion?

Yes, you can calculate the total energy of an object in motion by adding its kinetic energy and potential energy together. This is known as the principle of conservation of energy.

4. How do I calculate the energy of a moving object at different heights?

If the object is moving at different heights, you can calculate the energy at each height using the formula PE = mgh and then add the energies from each height together to find the total energy of the object.

5. Can I calculate the energy of an object without knowing its mass?

No, the mass of the object is a crucial component in calculating energy. Without knowing the mass, you cannot accurately calculate the potential or kinetic energy of the object.