How Can I Calculate the Number of Photons in a Laser Cavity?

In summary, the laser cavity in this problem is formed by two mirrors, one with ultra-high reflectivity and the other with 99.5% reflectivity. The laser has a power of 1mW and a wavelength of 600nm. To calculate the number of photons in the cavity, we use the equation N = Pλ/hc. At full power, this gives a value of 3.01x10^15 photons. The time spent inside the cavity is 1 nanosecond. Using the formula for power out, we calculate a new power of 9.5x10^-4. This corresponds to a number of photons of 2.86x10^15 per second hitting the semi-reflect
Vegeta2019

Homework Statement

The laser cavity is formed by two mirrors separated by 15 cm. One of the mirrors has an ultra-high reflectivity and the output mirror has the much lower reflectivity of 99.5 %. How many photons are there in the cavity?[/B]

The power of the laser is 1mW and the wavelength is 600nm

Homework Equations

E= hc/λ and N=P/E Hence N = Pλ/hc

Power out = Power in x (1 - reflectivity) ... Not sure about this formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I have different views to what is happening as I think the question is vague. So I only have worked out certain elements.

At full power N = Pλ/hc ... N=3.01x1015

We could work out the time inside the cavity t = 30x10-2 /3x108 which gives 1 nano second... Not sure if this is relevant to the question.

Using the formula Power out = Power in x (1 - reflectivity) gives a power of 1x10-3 x(1 -0.05)
=9.5x10-4

Using this new power N = Pλ/hc... N= 2.86x1015 photons/s

Would I then do 3.01x1015 - 2.86x1015 = 1.6x1014 ??

Not sure if this is correct. Is the time element I tried supposed to be used?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would approach the problem this way: start by calculating the number of photons escaping the cavity per unit time, then figure out how many photons per unit time need to be hitting the semi-reflecting mirror for the calculated output, then figure out how many photons must be inside the cavity to get this hit rate on the mirror.

So If I work our the photons escaping the cavity per uni time this would look like

Photons escaping = 3.01x1015 / 1x10-9 =3.01x1024 since the time the spend in the cavity is 1 nano second??
From my attempt the number of photons needed to hit the semi reflecting mirror is N= 2.86x10^15 photons/s due to the 0.5% loss?

So it would be 3.01x1024 - 2.86x1015 = 3x1024

Still not sure if I am doing this correct.

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries energy and behaves like both a particle and a wave. It has no mass and travels at the speed of light.

2. How are photons created in a laser cavity?

Photons are created in a laser cavity through a process called stimulated emission. This occurs when an excited atom or molecule releases a photon of light, which then stimulates other excited atoms or molecules to release photons in the same direction and phase.

3. What is a laser cavity?

A laser cavity is a space between two mirrors where light bounces back and forth, amplifying and producing a coherent beam of light. It is a crucial component of a laser system.

4. What factors affect the number of photons in a laser cavity?

The number of photons in a laser cavity is affected by the energy input into the cavity, the gain medium used, the reflectivity of the cavity mirrors, and the losses within the cavity such as scattering and absorption.

5. How does the number of photons in a laser cavity affect the laser's output?

The number of photons in a laser cavity directly affects the intensity and power of the laser's output. A higher number of photons results in a more intense and powerful laser beam, while a lower number of photons will produce a weaker beam.