How can I calculate the smallest speed of a proton in a nucleus?

In summary: But your notation is a little confusing. Here's what I think you are doing:Assuming non-relativistic velocity:$$p = mv$$$$mvL = \frac{\bar{h}}{2}$$$$v = \frac{\bar{h}}{2mL} = \frac{h}{4\pi mL}$$$$v = (6.626*10^-34) / (4pi * 1.67*10^-27 * 4.3*10^-15)$$$$v = 7.34*10^6 = .0245c$$In summary, I approached the problem by assuming non-relativistic velocity and using the He
NoctusPartem
Homework Statement
A proton is confined within an atomic nucleus of diameter 4.30 fm.
Estimate the smallest range of speeds you might find for a proton in the nucleus.
Relevant Equations
pL=hbar/2
My approach:

Assuming non-relativistic velocity:
$$p = mv$$

$$mvL = \frac{\bar{h}}{2}$$
$$v = \frac{\bar{h}}{2mL} = \frac{h}{4\pi mL}$$

$$v = (6.626*10^-34) / (4pi * 1.67*10^-27 * 4.3*10^-15)$$
$$v = 7.34*10^6 = .0245c$$

This answer is incorrect. What have I done wrong?

---

Edit: My lecturer's slides include the equation in the form:
1571447334208.png

I'm not sure if or why this form should be used instead.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
I am not sure how incorrect your answer is. What is the right answer by your lecturer ?

Hey.
I'm just a first year, so I haven't taken anything related to quantum.
But maybe you may find my attempt at this useful:
1571501547882.png

1571501609185.png

So by pythagoras, the Delta v in three dimensions should be this.
Assuming that the atom is uniform(all deltas are equal):
1571501701025.png
so according to this interpretation "n" should be related to the square root of the number of dimensions... But your lecturer's equation don't square "n" so I'm not sure what is wrong here.

NoctusPartem said:
Homework Statement: A proton is confined within an atomic nucleus of diameter 4.30 fm.
Estimate the smallest range of speeds you might find for a proton in the nucleus.
Homework Equations: pL=hbar/2

My approach:

Assuming non-relativistic velocity:
$$p = mv$$

$$mvL = \frac{\bar{h}}{2}$$
$$v = \frac{\bar{h}}{2mL} = \frac{h}{4\pi mL}$$

$$v = (6.626*10^-34) / (4pi * 1.67*10^-27 * 4.3*10^-15)$$
$$v = 7.34*10^6 = .0245c$$

This answer is incorrect. What have I done wrong?

---

Edit: My lecturer's slides include the equation in the form:
View attachment 251429
I'm not sure if or why this form should be used instead.
I'm guessing that you are trying to use the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. But, since you don't say what you are trying to do, it's hard to know.

Meanwhile your lecturer seems to be using the lowest energy level for an infinite potential well.

1. What is the smallest speed of a proton in a nucleus?

The smallest speed of a proton in a nucleus can vary depending on the specific nucleus and its energy state. However, in general, the minimum speed of a proton in a nucleus is typically around 10% of the speed of light.

2. How is the smallest speed of a proton in a nucleus calculated?

The smallest speed of a proton in a nucleus can be calculated using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the Schrödinger equation. This involves taking into account the mass of the proton, the size of the nucleus, and the energy state of the nucleus.

3. Why is it important to know the smallest speed of a proton in a nucleus?

Understanding the smallest speed of a proton in a nucleus is crucial for studying nuclear physics and the behavior of subatomic particles. It also helps in understanding the stability and structure of atoms and how they interact with each other.

4. Can the smallest speed of a proton in a nucleus be measured?

Yes, the smallest speed of a proton in a nucleus can be measured using advanced techniques such as particle accelerators and detectors. By analyzing the trajectories and energies of particles, scientists can determine the speed of protons in a nucleus.

5. Does the smallest speed of a proton in a nucleus change?

Yes, the smallest speed of a proton in a nucleus can change depending on the energy state of the nucleus. As the energy state changes, the speed of the protons can also change. Additionally, the smallest speed of a proton in a nucleus can also vary between different types of nuclei.