How can I calculate the work done in a gas compression problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total change in thermal energy using the equation ΔEth = nCvΔT, and then subtracting the work to find the heat. The conversation also mentions the confusion around the value of Cv for a diatomic gas and the different methods for calculating work. It is noted that for an ideal diatomic gas, the molar Cv is equal to 5R/2, and the equation for work is W = -∫ p dV or finding the area under the curve of the pV diagram.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

upload_2016-12-30_10-56-48.png

Homework Equations

ΔEth = nCvΔT

W = -∫ p dV

pV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the total change in thermal energy by finding the temperature change.

I first found the initial pressure

P1 = nRT/V = 32464.4 Pa

Then I solved for the final pressure

p1V12 = p2V22

p1V12 / V22 = p2 = 292179.6 Pa

Then I found the final temperature

T2 = pV/nR = 879 K

What I wanted to do next was use ΔEth = nCvΔT to find the total thermal energy and then subtract the work to find the heat. Unfortunately, I don't know what Cv is equal to or how to find the work.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is Cv for a diatomic gas? What is the general equation for the amount of P-V work done on the surroundings?

Chestermiller said:
What is Cv for a diatomic gas? What is the general equation for the amount of P-V work done on the surroundings?
Cv is one the things that is confusing me. In my book it has a table for a couple of Cv's for different gases so I'm not sure which to use.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Rv3s5lQ2vyLKOnlbAg64OHbFcNAw_pmlo3t_v1YoFHulQit7hmXE3QNfhnkkY2CkbFphumXv2Fur1BgU6j7CJ2ndcsMKnvvKsKTcS0La7W1cMEUdeQQ3FbwVGqP5uWtq6m-kac0EcRYm_z-pHDVDPFX_KTcGziQOZQlpRX-c_lkY1xWJEPMQcEwFIdgZ7kYoCr9xMVr0IzzS4h_1xe3yKY4GOsox4ARm5AfFURq_crZHRoHdsGH9XYU8hyrFe2AFoDavbMAn2ee_h3yrviHDKjvCau1GbRp6K7xKT5ql1j64izFwZO32BxrpXCMhI5CEMjMnIc5hN6-259RsF8SsgIiZxsnQD7TAu3-9d8Xj3vMR35dMFtUUSelQQqWnQblf0ylCU0DYrzG9N2Mfx3g3_WlsPUZkkoEKP9dmSO8HU0KEfev7mT2Xz8cB2mcGLaFXeywOdi0kWonRkAfn1XG3mGgT2S4j0GWWMPL-AZpMb5RgzYHMe_HFK0oKB18wEPGsX3PAGwTh8yoklqY_TLssNCRJeLLKTYIhXf1Pl7LHumgHEHRrhfuHt0ZtmZ5AEQKq64Nooh5rsHMRfAGXyvQP6SdsadwWXxxc2evTNwlvnTGZRg9ucT4P=w619-h662-no

For an ideal diatomic gas, the molar Cv is equal to 5R/2. Did they not cover this in your course?

Chestermiller said:
For an ideal diatomic gas, the molar Cv is equal to 5R/2. Did they not cover this in your course?

I looked ahead and it seems it will be covered in the next chapter. OK so that solves that problem. What I'm wondering about now is the work. My book wasn't very clear about work and the two ways it gave to calculate work were to W = -∫ p dV or to find the area under the curve of the pV diagram.

BrainMan said:
I looked ahead and it seems it will be covered in the next chapter. OK so that solves that problem. What I'm wondering about now is the work. My book wasn't very clear about work and the two ways it gave to calculate work were to W = -∫ p dV or to find the area under the curve of the pV diagram.
The equation you wrote for the work represents the work done by the surroundings on the system. This equation is correct. You are aware that the integral of PdV is the same as the area under the curve of the pV diagram, correct? In this problem, to get the work, you are going to have to integrate pdV.

What is gas compression?

Gas compression is the process of increasing the pressure of a gas by decreasing its volume. This is typically done using mechanical devices such as compressors or pumps.

What are some common applications of gas compression?

Gas compression is used in a variety of industries and applications, including natural gas processing, oil refining, chemical production, and refrigeration. It is also used in transportation, such as in the compression of natural gas for use as a fuel in vehicles.

What factors affect gas compression?

The main factors that affect gas compression are the type of gas being compressed, the initial pressure and temperature of the gas, the desired final pressure, and the type of compressor being used. In addition, gas properties such as compressibility and heat capacity also play a role in the compression process.

How does gas compression impact the environment?

Gas compression can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it is necessary for many industries and processes, and can help reduce emissions by enabling the use of cleaner fuels. However, it can also contribute to air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions if not properly managed.

What are some common challenges in gas compression?

Some common challenges in gas compression include maintaining efficient operation and preventing equipment failures, dealing with fluctuations in gas composition and flow rate, and ensuring safety and environmental compliance. The design and maintenance of compressors and related equipment is also a crucial consideration in achieving optimal gas compression.