How can I create a targeted resume and interview script to land my dream job?

• News
  • Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resume
In summary: Resume should showcase results. "Ran macros in excel" becomes "Through running macros in excel, discovered a trend that allowed the company to increase it's widget output by 50%.".In summary, a lot of resumes contain generic phrases like "hard-working", "goal-oriented", and "driven" to sell themselves to employers. However, it is more effective to showcase specific skills and accomplishments rather than using vague terms. It is also important to make resumes keyword-friendly and to focus on results rather than job functions.
TheStatutoryApe said:
Actually I seriously mean no way to quantify it. I work as a security guard.

What about the number of theft reports? A statement like "zero thefts under my watch" or "crime rate reduced 50% under my watch" would be very strong.

Physics news on Phys.org
maze said:
What about the number of theft reports? A statement like "zero thefts under my watch" or "crime rate reduced 50% under my watch" would be very strong.

We don't have crime rate data unfortunately. I would have to get my company, my co-workers, and our clients all to cooperate on the effort. My data alone does not mean much. I would need reports from residents who choose report to managment instead of security (which happens alot), reports from other employees, and probably even the police department. Otherwise its just amatuer hour and will more likely look bad than good. Its an idea I can pitch to my bosses. I'm not sure how they would take it.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Swat: I just noticed that while I expressed appreciation for your advice I never actually said "Thank you".
Thank you. :-)

Hey - sure no problem! Also, I hope I didn't come across as overly critical in the previous comment. I guess I sort of got the feeling that you had already "accepted defeat" and I was saying that that attitude isn't productive.

If I were you I'd take a bit of a 50,000ft view and actually write out some stuff like:

1) what kind of job do I REALLY WANT (let your linear logic go here; in other words don't look at what makes sense based on your current situation; use your imagination to help you come to understand exactly what's ideal FOR YOU).

This is NOT IDLE FANCY - one can miss a lot of opportunities by failing to address challenges this way. One of the best jobs I ever had back when I first got out of school, I CREATED. I knew what I wanted to do (i.e. I knew what kind of activities I wanted to do, what kind of problems I wanted to solve, etc.). I boldly (even though I was a bit fearful) got in contact with the CEO of the company ( a small tech company in CT at the time) and asked for a meeting by mentioning someone I knew he knew. In 45 minutes, I told him how I had researched everything about his company and I had a list of a good 5 strategies that could be used to meet the goals he talked about in the press. I then showed him exactly how I could help him do that. He hired me on the spot. I got to set my own salary and there wasn't even a job description - I CAME UP WITH IT, LOL.

This is just a tangible story to demonstrate to you that the likelihood of your being supremely satisfied in a job is ABSOLUTELY tied to whether or not you enjoy it - and you have to KNOW WHAT YOU WANT FIRST. Make sense?

On to (2)
If you are currently applying for a certain set of jobs, do something VERY SIMPLE:
find out what they want, and give it to them!

By that I mean you have to work on your elevator speech old chap. If you are applying for XYZ jobs, find out what one needs to know or do to be successful in that job, THEN TWEAK YOUR EXPERIENCES TO FIT THOSE NEEDS.

Don't be overly verbose about stuff. Want to know a secret? Most smart bosses basically look for smarts and the ability to learn quick more so than mundane skills. A smart, proactive person can be taught to do almost ANYTHING. And since things are changing so fast, yeah someone may know xyz software package now, but what about in 2 years?

Better to have a smart, quick learner on board.

If you care to you can post what kind of positions you are looking for here then I'm sure some folks can help you clearly understand what they are looking for so you give them what they want.

As an example of the guy I helped out in the last post I did, he was a THEATRE MAJOR and got a job as an aircraft inspector. Do the two sound related?!

Of course not. But I helped him show those people what they needed to hear, he went into the interview knowing all about the company and what they wanted to accomplished and he demonstrated that he was a smart, proactive guy that could get the job done (remember I told you about the "targetted answers") so the rest is history.In sum, you may want to finalize:
1) a clear sense of what you want in a job
2) a clear sense of what the companies are looking for - sometimes it's stated and sometimes it's subtle - you must understand both!
3) a targeted resume that shows exactly how your skills match the needs of the company
4) an interview script - and I do mean script. Write it out and memorize it.

This stuff works and I know it to be the case. Lastly, you really have to sometimes dumb down stuff. Sorry to sound supercilious but this is the physics forum right, lol.

It sounds a bit like you are over thinking some stuff and I've totally been there. You just need a nicely done paint-by-numbers resume, that tells people what they want to hear, an interview script that let's people hear what they want/need to hear, a good looking suit and confidence. The average job these days unless you are looking to smash particles at CERN, you can cross apply one's skills with ease.

...mind moving faster than my fingers so I hope the gist of it gets communicated!

Back