How can I effectively utilize Proffs for research and academic assistance?

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
In summary, if you're not interesting in what the professor is talking about, they're not going to be very interested in talking to you.
heman
Well i am a student of first year but i never make judicious use of Proffs around and i am also not pretty sure how the Proffs. which do research and teach can be useful and how we can go to them and make them help us...How to reduce this gap //Pls help me...Thx in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everyone likes to explain maths they understand to someone who doesn't get it, so don't be afraid to talk to them. But it will maximize your benefit and minimize their annoyance if you actually go with specific issues in mind and demonstrate that you've actually tried to think about the question. Let's take a common calc query:

No one likes a student who turns up and simply says "I don't understand what a limit is", and who, upon being asked what it means to say x_n tends to x receives the answer of "I don't know". Know the definition (we can't help your memory) and also have an example in mind where you can't show x_n tends to x.

So, go with a well-thought-out query, and try and avoid questions which essentially paint you as not having tried hard enough to understand, which sadly happens far too often.

Good example of a question I had yesterday: I'm not sure I get row reduction. I know what I want to end up with, but when I try it I just go round in circles.
Why is this good? It is explicit, shows they know where they're going wrong, and I was able to show them an algorithm to do it (the lecturer had paid more time to theoretical meaning of row reduction).

Bad Example I got recently: I can't show this is a surjection. My query: so what's the definition of surjection (ie what must we show is satisfied)? Answer: I don't know.
Why's it bad? Because the questioner hadn't taken the time to learn the meaning of the words. I get these a lot: make sure you know the meaning of the terms.

even if i don't have nothing much to ask relating to the subject which i study and may be the topics on which they have expertised...

I think I translate that as: can I just walk up to a professor and ask them to talk maths at me? Yes, you can. Don't expect to understand what they're talking about though.

You should be able to ask for them to go into more details on anything relevant to a course, and most of them will happily oblige. I'd be delighted of my students asked me to explain some more about how Groups are used.

If you were to ask where the material lead onto, or for advice on what else to study, then they probably will be happy to discuss it.

I wouldn't expect them to talk to you about their research since you will almost certainly not understand it, if that's what you're getting at (area of expertise?).

actually i wanted to know that if a prof.. has expertised on certain topic and that topic fascinates me very much...and that is not in my course program...so what to do abt. it ,,,,how to get a feel of research...thx very much for urs above points

Just Enjoy Urs Life Man...why To Make Use Of Proffs...they Are Boring Old Ppls...

except they have experience and knowledge that might be useful to students...

very right

Related to How can I effectively utilize Proffs for research and academic assistance?

1. How do I make use of Proffs?

To make use of Proffs, first determine the specific features and capabilities you need for your research. Then, select the appropriate Proff based on your requirements. Once you have downloaded and installed Proffs, familiarize yourself with its user interface and tools. You can then begin using Proffs for data analysis, visualization, or other scientific tasks.

2. What types of data can I analyze with Proffs?

Proffs is a versatile scientific software that can analyze various types of data, including numerical, categorical, and textual data. It also supports image and video analysis. Additionally, Proffs can handle large datasets with high dimensionality and can perform data preprocessing, modeling, and simulation.

3. Can Proffs be integrated with other scientific software?

Yes, Proffs is designed to be compatible and can be integrated with other scientific software. It supports various file formats, including CSV, Excel, and MATLAB files. Proffs can also be integrated with popular programming languages such as Python and R, making it a powerful tool for data analysis and visualization.

4. Is Proffs suitable for both beginners and advanced users?

Yes, Proffs is suitable for both beginners and advanced users. It has a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate, making it accessible for beginners. At the same time, it offers advanced features and customization options for experienced users, allowing them to perform complex analyses and tasks.

5. Does Proffs offer any support or resources for users?

Proffs offers comprehensive support and resources for its users. It has a dedicated support team that can assist with any technical issues or questions. Additionally, Proffs has a user forum where users can interact and share their knowledge and experiences. It also provides tutorials, documentation, and training courses to help users get the most out of the software.