How can I evaluate the carrying capacity of a quadruped/hexapod robot?

In summary, evaluating the carrying capacity of a quadruped or hexapod robot involves determining the maximum load or weight the robot can handle without malfunctioning or causing damage. This can be done by considering the structural design, materials used, and power capabilities of the robot, as well as conducting stress tests and simulations to assess its performance under different conditions. Additionally, the robot's intended purpose and environment should be taken into account when determining its carrying capacity. Regular maintenance and monitoring are also crucial in ensuring the robot can safely carry its designated load.
theycallmevirgo
TL;DR Summary
How many legs must defeat overall mg at the same time to allow for motion?
How can I predict carrying capacity of something like this ?

Capture.PNG

or this?

1606774318392.png

Clearly some combination of servos must defeat mg, but how many? Do all of them need to be powered constantly, whether any leg is moving or not, just to "stand up straight"?

Further, each leg is clearly a lever. What is the design equation to maximize vertical force?Many thanks in advance for any help

Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no single equation that will answer your question. You will need to define a geometric model of the mechanical linkage. Motor force will be transmitted through those links to become a vertical force on the ground.

You will also need to specify how the mass load is distributed over the vehicle chassis.

The number of degrees of freedom in each leg will decide how many feet may remain on the ground while walking. So there may be several modes of operation, some of which may lead to balance or stability problems. Taking shorter steps may support greater loads.

Can you draw a diagram of the linkage that defines one leg?

Likes russ_watters
Sorry if I have to do this piecemeal, but I may lose network soon. To answer one of your questions immediately, safe to assume a fairly even horizontal load distribution. Maybe slightly more in the center.

I can easily do a fairly detailed diagram of the linkage. Do you prefer I make a separate reply or edit this one?

I'm not convinced that blue contraption has any capability of controlled leg movement.

I see only two arms per leg, both attaching to a single axle (i.e. mechanically, it's just one arm with a redundant arm), so Ill bet if it really existed, it would just fall flat.Contrast with the wooden one, which correctly has two arms, each with its own attachment point.

Never mind. I just noticed that Blue's legs have a motors that their knees.

DaveC426913 said:
I'm not convinced that blue contraption has any capability of controlled leg movement.

I see only two arms per leg, both attaching to a single axle (i.e. mechanically, it's just one arm with a redundant arm), so Ill bet if it really existed, it would just fall flat.Contrast with the wooden one, which correctly has two arms, each with its own attachment point.

Never mind. I just noticed that Blue's legs have a motors that their knees.
They all have motors in their knees.

theycallmevirgo said:
I can easily do a fairly detailed diagram of the linkage. Do you prefer I make a separate reply or edit this one?
Keep the discussion in this thread. Post your diagram here.

We need to know the length of links between pins and from pins to the tips of the feet. Do you have torque specifications for the actuator servos ?

I have a book about walking robots and it features various design calculations (including evaluation of necessary torque and power) but it's in Polish, unfortunately. However, there are some articles and boook chapters that can be useful for you. For example check the "Design of Hexapod Walking Robots: Background and Challenges" chapter of the book titled "Handbook of Research on Advancements in Robotics and Mechatronics".

FEAnalyst said:
I have a book about walking robots and it features various design calculations (including evaluation of necessary torque and power) but it's in Polish, unfortunately. However, there are some articles and boook chapters that can be useful for you. For example check the "Design of Hexapod Walking Robots: Background and Challenges" chapter of the book titled "Handbook of Research on Advancements in Robotics and Mechatronics".

Thanks, will google

FEAnalyst said:
Actually I am (fluent in) Russian so I may possibly be able to make my way through polish. Is it softcopy?

I found two books in English, on the subject of walking robots, edited Teresa Zielińska.

Romansy 16: Robot Design, Dynamics, and Control [1 ed.]
Atsuo Takanishi (auth.), Teresa Zielińska, Cezary Zieliński (eds.)
CISM Courses and Lectures 487
ISBN: 978-3-211-36064-4, 978-3-211-38927-0, 3-211-36064-6
Springer-Verlag Wien 2006 [463 pages] English

Walking: Biological and Technological Aspects [1 ed.]
Friedrich Pfeiffer, Teresa Zielinska (eds.)
International Centre for Mechanical Sciences 467
ISBN: 978-3-211-22134-1, 978-3-7091-2772-8
Springer-Verlag Wien 2004 [194 pages] English

As you can see from the picture, the vertical position and movement of each leg is controlled by one servo, which arm is anchored to the lower linkage.
If you gradually add weight to the chassis of the robot, a point will be reached at which the stall torque value of the four servos will stop further control and movement of the legs.

Please, see:
https://www.societyofrobots.com/actuators_servos.shtml#digitalanalogservos

Common servos don't have any self-locking mechanism, reason for which, the motors of these four servos will be using as many amps as needed to compensate for the required torque to keep each leg at certain height (at least while walking).

That is not the case for the four servos controling the radial position and movement of the legs, but increasing weight on the chassis will also increase friction on those horizontal linkages, requiring additional output torques and input Amps.

If walking on non-flat surfaces with extra weight loaded chassis, the strength and rigidity of the legs and linkages under lateral loads should be considered.

Likes theycallmevirgo
Lnewqban said:
As you can see from the picture, the vertical position and movement of each leg is controlled by one servo, which arm is anchored to the lower linkage.
If you gradually add weight to the chassis of the robot, a point will be reached at which the stall torque value of the four servos will stop further control and movement of the legs.

Please, see:
https://www.societyofrobots.com/actuators_servos.shtml#digitalanalogservos

Common servos don't have any self-locking mechanism, reason for which, the motors of these four servos will be using as many amps as needed to compensate for the required torque to keep each leg at certain height (at least while walking).

That is not the case for the four servos controling the radial position and movement of the legs, but increasing weight on the chassis will also increase friction on those horizontal linkages, requiring additional output torques and input Amps.

If walking on non-flat surfaces with extra weight loaded chassis, the strength and rigidity of the legs and linkages under lateral loads should be considered.
Thanks so much for this, I think I will test experimentally based on your suggestions and follow up with any additional questions.

theycallmevirgo said:
Thanks so much for this, I think I will test experimentally based on your suggestions and follow up with any additional questions.
You are welcome. :smile:
Best luck with the project.

1. What is carrying capacity?

Carrying capacity refers to the maximum weight or load that a robot can carry without compromising its stability or performance.

2. How is carrying capacity determined for quadruped/hexapod robots?

Carrying capacity for quadruped/hexapod robots is determined by various factors such as the robot's weight, size, and design, as well as the strength and durability of its materials and components.

3. Can carrying capacity be increased for a quadruped/hexapod robot?

Yes, carrying capacity can be increased for a quadruped/hexapod robot by making design modifications, using stronger materials, or adding additional support mechanisms such as hydraulic or pneumatic systems.

4. How does carrying capacity affect the performance of a quadruped/hexapod robot?

The carrying capacity of a quadruped/hexapod robot can greatly affect its performance. If the robot is carrying a load that is too heavy, it may become unstable, move slower, or even break down. Therefore, it is important to evaluate and optimize the carrying capacity for optimal performance.

5. What are some methods for evaluating carrying capacity in quadruped/hexapod robots?

There are several methods for evaluating carrying capacity in quadruped/hexapod robots, including stress testing, simulation software, and physical testing with different loads. It is also important to consider real-world scenarios and the environment in which the robot will be operating when evaluating its carrying capacity.