How can I find this characteristic function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the characteristic function of a random variable with a given PDF and the use of a formula for evaluating integrals. It is suggested to use a similar formula and take the limit to find the solution.
EngWiPy
Hello all,

I'm trying to find the characteristic function of the random variable ##X## whose PDF is ##f_X(x)=1/(x+1)^2## where ##X\in[0,\,\infty)##. I started like this:

[tex]\phi_X(j\nu)=E\left[e^{j\nu X}\right]=\int_0^{\infty}\frac{e^{j\nu X}}{(x+1)^2}\,dx[/tex]

where ##j=\sqrt{-1}##. I searched the Table of Integrals book, and found the formula attached. However, according to the conditions, the real part of ##\mu## must be positive. In my case it's 0. So, I think I cannot use this formula. How then can I evaluate the above integral? I tried integration by parts by letting ##u=e^{j\nu x}## and ##dv=dx/(x+1)^2##, which gave me:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{e^{j\nu X}}{(x+1)^2}\,dx=\left. \frac{-e^{j\nu x}}{x+1}\right|_0^{\infty}+j\nu\int_0^{\infty}\frac{e^{j\nu x}}{x+1}\,dx[/tex]

Is this the right way? If yes, then what? I have the same problem again in the right hand side (I mean the integral), besides the first term that I'm not sure if it's 0 or infinity at ##x=\infty##.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can use a similar formula in your link, if you set in your integral ##x+1=-w## you have:

##=-\int_{-1}^{-\infty}\frac{e^{j\nu-j\nu w}}{w^2}dw=e^{j\nu}\int_{-\infty}^{-1}\frac{e^{-j\nu w}}{w^2}dw##

now if you put this in wolfram Mathematica you will obtain:

##-\frac{j\nu w E_{i}(-j\nu w)+e^{-j\nu w}}{w}##

as primitive. Rewrite with ##x## and take the limit ... (##E_{i}## is another expression for the exponential integral)

1. How can I determine the characteristic function of a random variable?

The characteristic function of a random variable can be found by taking the Fourier transform of its probability density function (PDF). This can be done using mathematical software or by hand using the Fourier transform formula.

2. Can I find the characteristic function of any random variable?

Yes, the characteristic function can be found for any random variable as long as its PDF exists. However, for some complex distributions, the calculation may be difficult or impossible to do by hand.

3. Is the characteristic function unique for each random variable?

Yes, the characteristic function is unique for each random variable. This means that two different random variables cannot have the same characteristic function.

4. How can I use the characteristic function in statistical analysis?

The characteristic function can be used to calculate moments and other important statistical properties of a random variable. It can also be used to determine the distribution of a random variable by taking the inverse Fourier transform of its characteristic function.

5. Are there any limitations to using the characteristic function?

The characteristic function may not exist for some distributions, making it impossible to use in those cases. Additionally, the calculation of the characteristic function may be difficult or time-consuming for complex distributions.