How can I fix unwanted vertical space after figures in $\LaTeX$?

In summary, The individual is having trouble with unwanted space in their report formatted in $\LaTeX$. They have included images using the \centerline command and are experiencing extra vertical space below them. They have tried using negative vspace and adjusting the scaling, but haven't had success. It was later discovered that the issue was due to incorrect image cropping. The individual is considering keeping the thread as a reference for vertical spacing in the future.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
Hello everyone.

I'm typing up a report in $\LaTeX$ and I'm having trouble with some unwanted space. Here is what it looks like with the extra space marked by the reddish rectangles.

2mha1vt.png

The images themselves don't have excessive vertical space below them.

2m5au6b.png

On the previous page I have included figures that don't have any vertical space issues.
2rpfk0y.png

To include these I'm using the following code:

Code:
\centerline{\includegraphics[scale=.5]{Retail_Sales_dividebypop.png}}

I've read online that \centerline isn't advised to use but it's worked fine for me up until this point. I've tried using negative vspace but that doesn't do anything either.

The only thing I can think of is that the scaling adds more space. In second set of figures they are scaled lower, as you can see by this code:

Code:
\centerline{\includegraphics[scale=.1]{nasdaq_graph.png}}

Maybe the .1 scale factor leaves less room than .5? Any insight or help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
[SOLVED]! I wasn't cropping the images correctly, leaving extra vertical space. I might delete this thread later but am considering keeping just to have an example thread on vertical spacing. :eek:

What is the purpose of vertical space after a figure?

The vertical space after a figure is used to create separation between the figure and any text or other elements that come after it. This can help to improve the readability and organization of the document.

How is the amount of vertical space after a figure determined?

The amount of vertical space after a figure is typically determined by the document's formatting and style guidelines. It may also be based on the size of the figure and the desired layout of the document.

Can the vertical space after a figure be adjusted?

Yes, the vertical space after a figure can be adjusted by changing the formatting or style settings in the document. It can also be manually adjusted by inserting line breaks or adjusting margins.

Why is it important to have vertical space after a figure?

Having vertical space after a figure helps to create a clear distinction between different elements in a document. It also helps to improve the overall aesthetics and organization of the document.

Are there any rules or guidelines for how much vertical space should be used after a figure?

There are no specific rules or guidelines for how much vertical space should be used after a figure. However, it is important to consider the overall layout and readability of the document when deciding on the amount of space to use.