How can I gain CAD experience without access to expensive software?

• Thread starter Jynx18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cad
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's lack of experience with CAD programs and their inability to access them without being in school or employed by a company that has licensed versions. The speaker mentions the high cost of these programs and their search for free alternatives. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to attend a community college or use trial versions and YouTube tutorials to gain experience.
Jynx18
I guess this should go in this forum because I am out of school. Anyway I feel as I have a slight problem right now. I am 27 and have a BSME and a MSME but do not currently work in my field. I am lacking relevant work experience and didn't take advantage of certain things while in school. I am obviously looking to turn things around and really get into gear.

So in the process of this I want to become familiar and proficient with some of the CAD programs available. Something more than a basic understanding. My problem is these programs are practically impossible to use when not at a university or job that has seats. Solidworks, AutoCAD Inventor, etc are thousands of dollars to buy. I have been looking into free programs but they are obviously either severely limited in use, not popular, or aren't actually free. I have been using rhinoceros but that is a 90 day trial before needing to buy a license.

What am I supposed to do to get experience with these programs? I am not in school anymore and don't work at a job that uses them so I can't use them and learn them to get a job that uses them. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Jynx18 said:
I guess this should go in this forum because I am out of school. Anyway I feel as I have a slight problem right now. I am 27 and have a BSME and a MSME but do not currently work in my field. I am lacking relevant work experience and didn't take advantage of certain things while in school. I am obviously looking to turn things around and really get into gear.

So in the process of this I want to become familiar and proficient with some of the CAD programs available. Something more than a basic understanding. My problem is these programs are practically impossible to use when not at a university or job that has seats. Solidworks, AutoCAD Inventor, etc are thousands of dollars to buy. I have been looking into free programs but they are obviously either severely limited in use, not popular, or aren't actually free. I have been using rhinoceros but that is a 90 day trial before needing to buy a license.

What am I supposed to do to get experience with these programs? I am not in school anymore and don't work at a job that uses them so I can't use them and learn them to get a job that uses them. Thanks
One would have to go to school (community college) and get access to a student version, and then ultimately buy a licensed copy. Otherwise, one has to be employed by a company, which purchases a licensed version, which is restricted to a given computer.

There are cheap sketching type programs by SolidWorks, AutoCAD or Pro/Engineer are about the main commercial apps, and the professional versions are expensive. I think there are limited/cheap versions such as AutoCAD-Lite.

Those who are interested in setting up solid models for FEA may bypass CAD programs and use something like FEMap
http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/femap/

No endorsement expressed or implied.

You can download trial versions to play with for a month (3D Studio, Maya, Modo). My recommendation would be to download as many free Youtube tutorials as possible, watch them, figure out how to use them, and then try and build up a showreel. You can also pay for a monthly license, around £200.

What is CAD Rant?

CAD Rant is a term used to describe a situation where a computer-aided design (CAD) software has limitations or flaws that cause frustration or hinder the user's work process.

What is a Catch 22 situation?

A Catch 22 situation refers to a dilemma where two or more conditions or requirements are contradictory or mutually exclusive, making it impossible to fulfill one without violating the other.

How common is CAD Rant?

CAD Rant is a common occurrence among CAD users, especially those who rely heavily on the software for their work. It is not uncommon for even experienced users to encounter issues or limitations that cause frustration.

Can CAD Rant be avoided?

While it is not always possible to avoid CAD Rant entirely, there are certain steps that can be taken to minimize its occurrence. These include regularly updating the software, utilizing tutorials and resources to learn about workarounds, and providing feedback to the software developers.

What can be done to overcome Catch 22 situations in CAD?

In most cases, the best solution is to seek help from other CAD users, either through online forums or by consulting with colleagues. They may have encountered a similar issue and can offer advice or solutions. Additionally, it may be necessary to adjust the work process or find alternative methods to achieve the desired outcome.