Mechanical Engineering - Getting Your Foot In The Door

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles of an undergraduate student in acquiring real life experience in the field of mechanical engineering. The student is seeking advice on how to increase their employability and acquire the necessary experience, including seeking a summer internship and teaching themselves CAD software. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of internships and co-ops in gaining valuable experience and potentially leading to job offers.
Satonam
Hello,

I'm an undergraduate student working to earn my Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering. I was wondering whether other mechanical engineers could share their stories about their forst engineering job and how they got it.

My main issue is, surprisingly, that I have absolutely no real life experience in my field. I'm not looking for engineering jobs because I know I'm not qualified. What I want to get out of this thread is perspective on how to acquire the experience that nobody is offering. Many internships require working knowledge in CAD or Solidworks, some of them even ask for 1+ years of experience! We need an internship to get and internship, except nobody wants to take the blow.

What I've started doing this summer is, I downloaded the student version of Autocad Mechanical so I can teach myself in hopes that it may qualify me for something. What other steps can I take to increase my employability? It's not like I can afford buying a milling machine at home...

Physics news on Phys.org
You should seek a summer internship at the end of your Junior year. Many require a working knowledge of CAD, I'm surprised your school didn't offer it in your first year. That is essential because as an intern, you are not expected to know too much, so you'll start off with some basic CAD work and maybe field work, no one should be expecting you to be very experienced in engineering design or have done job related work. It is good if you have had some work experience and volunteer work in any area, not necessarily in Engineering. Show an interest in your field of study and read up about the company in advance of the interview. Be enthusiastic during the interview. Admit that you don't have much experience but are willing and eager to learn. Coming across as a "know it all" will dismiss your candidacy, as you essentially know nothing. Have as high as possible a grade point average. Hopefully you have taken a lot of ME related courses, even beyond the school's requirements. By far, an internship or CoOp is the best way to get your foot in the door. Then as an intern, work hard in your assignments and ask a lot of questions, be productive, be excited about your job. Good Luck.

Likes CalcNerd
I very strongly recommend Co-Op if it is available. I have seen many so-so students go out on Co-Op for a term and come back really motivated and eager to learn. What they saw in their Co-Op was invariably a huge motivator, and of course, in most cases, it led to a full-time job offer at the end.

1. What is mechanical engineering and how can I get my foot in the door?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems. To get your foot in the door, you can start by earning a degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. You can also gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs, and networking with professionals in the field.

2. What skills are needed to succeed in mechanical engineering?

Some important skills for success in mechanical engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, creativity, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software. Communication and teamwork skills are also crucial, as mechanical engineers often work in multidisciplinary teams.

3. What job opportunities are available for mechanical engineers?

Mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries, such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy. Some common job titles for mechanical engineers include design engineer, project engineer, and research and development engineer. There are also opportunities for advancement into management or specialized roles, such as robotics or renewable energy.

4. How can I stand out as a candidate for a mechanical engineering job?

In addition to having a strong educational background and relevant experience, you can stand out as a candidate by showcasing your skills and accomplishments through a portfolio or project examples. You can also participate in professional organizations and attend industry conferences to network and learn about new advancements in the field.

5. What qualities do employers look for in mechanical engineers?

Employers often look for candidates who are self-motivated, adaptable, and have a strong work ethic. They also value candidates who have a passion for continuous learning and staying updated on industry trends and technologies. Good communication, teamwork, and problem-solving abilities are also highly sought after in mechanical engineers.