How Can I Identify a Metal Diode with Specific Voltage Requirements?

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary: The closest ##V_Z## would be the 1N5927B, G with a ##V_{Z_{min}} = 11.40 V##Are you trying to identify it, or find a replacement ?The closest ##V_Z## would be the 1N5927B, G with a ##V_{Z_{min}} = 11.40 V##If the one you tested has a metal case it's probably rated a watt or moreyour 1N5927 is a 3 watt as you doubtless noted.
STEMucator
Homework Helper
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a metal diode that has a maximum reverse breakdown voltage of about 11.500 V and a turn on voltage of about 0.750 V.

Below is a plot of the reverse linear IV characteristic where the metal diode is marked by an orange dot.

Below that is a plot of the forward linear IV characteristic where the metal diode is again marked by an orange dot.

Reverse IV Curves Linear.PNG

Diode & BJT IV Curves.PNG

I suspect the metal diode is some type of 1NXXXX diode, but I am unsure what specific model it is.

I also remember the diode itself was small and grey with a black strip indicating the cathode.

If anyone might know what specific model this diode is, I would love to know.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:
I'm looking for a metal diode that has a maximum reverse breakdown voltage of about 11.500 V and a turn on voltage of about 0.750 V.
Then obviously you are looking for a silicon diode / rectifier. Or do you mean a Zener diode? Anyhow, On semiconductor (http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/home.do) is the successor to Motorola's discretes. I suggest you look there.

Likes jim hardy
I think the diode is a 1N4737 after looking at some data sheets. I'm still not 100% certain which diode it is though, what would you guys think?

would you post a link to the datasheet, or snip&paste ?

jim hardy said:
would you post a link to the datasheet, or snip&paste ?

Disregard my last post. I think I found a better option:

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 3.02.36 PM.png

The closest ##V_Z## would be the 1N5927B, G with a ##V_{Z_{min}} = 11.40 V##

Are you trying to identify it, or find a replacement ?

Datasheets give other clues besides electrical characteristics, and hints for use.

upload_2015-9-28_17-9-50.png

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/1N5913B-D.PDF

if the one you tested has a metal case it's probably rated a watt or more
your 1N5927 is a 3 watt as you doubtless noted.

Be aware of importance of keeping the leads short on such a device that's going to be operated near its rated power

upload_2015-9-28_17-15-33.png

old jim

Zondrina said:
I also remember the diode itself was small and grey with a black strip indicating the cathode.
How about a photo of the original diode with dimensions. From that we can identify the package standard and then power rating.
A replacement zenner diode can then be selected from currently available parts.

1. What is a diode brand?

A diode brand is a specific company or manufacturer that produces diodes. Diodes are electronic components used to allow current to flow in one direction while blocking it in the opposite direction.

2. How can I identify a diode brand?

You can identify a diode brand by looking for a logo or name on the diode itself. This is usually marked on the body of the diode or on the packaging it came in.

3. Why is it important to know the diode brand?

Knowing the diode brand is important because it can help you find the correct replacement part if the diode needs to be replaced. Different brands may have different specifications and performance levels.

4. Can I use any brand of diode in my circuit?

It is generally recommended to use the same brand of diode in a circuit to ensure compatibility and consistent performance. However, if the specifications of the diode are the same, you can use a different brand.

5. Where can I find information about different diode brands?

You can find information about different diode brands on the manufacturer's website or by contacting the company directly. You can also find reviews and comparisons of different diode brands online.