How Can I Improve My Maths Skills?

• Thread starter jhukin
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to improve in math as they are currently studying Year 10 and struggle with the subject. They are advised to be more specific about the areas they struggle with and to practice and gain experience in order to improve. When asked for tips on getting good grades, they are reminded that understanding the material is more important than just getting good grades. The key to understanding math is to work through different types of exercises and view it as a training regime.
jhukin
Hey all, I've recently signed up to this forum and don't know what to expect from this thread. I'm currently studying Year 10 and I struggle with maths, I was wondering if youd could provide the best ways to become good and some tips on improving. Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You might want to be more specific.

For example, Year 10 could mean a lot of things. Some people learn basic algebra in Year 10, other people learn calculus. So you'll need to be more specific. Give us a list of things you're struggling with. Maybe give some examples of why you struggle with those things.

But I'm already going to say that the only way of improving is practice and experience. If you want to be good at something sciency, then you'll absolutely need to do a lot of practice problems, especially the hard ones. There is no magic trick to understand math.

Well, this is yr 11 class, and obviously yr 10 preparing for that, what's your tips for good grades in these areaas

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 432
No, I can't help you get good grades, but I can help you gain good and deep understanding of the material.

Tell us concretely some problems you've been having issues with.

Well, do you just have any tips for this sort of work, all round, I didn't do this work before it's because I've moved up classes and I need to get a B to do the pictures subjects above

jhukin said:
Well, do you just have any tips for this sort of work, all round, I didn't do this work before it's because I've moved up classes and I need to get a B to do the pictures subjects above
Work through all kinds of exercises - all you can find in the books and elsewhere. Math may be an intellectual exercise, but you do not get the feel for it before you have tried to solve several different problems. Think of it as a training regime.

First, many exercises ... (depends of your level...)

1. How can I overcome my fear of math?

The best way to overcome your fear of math is to practice regularly and build your confidence. Start with simple problems and gradually work your way up to more difficult ones. Ask for help from a teacher or tutor if needed. Also, try to find real-world applications for math to make it more interesting and relevant.

2. What are some effective study strategies for improving my math skills?

Some effective study strategies for improving math skills include reviewing class notes and textbooks, practicing problems regularly, and using flashcards or other study aids. It is also helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps and to seek help from peers or teachers when needed.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

To improve your problem-solving skills in math, it is important to understand the concepts and formulas involved in a problem, identify the given information, and determine the appropriate steps to solve it. Practice solving a variety of problems and try different approaches to find the most efficient method for you.

4. What are the benefits of practicing mental math?

Practicing mental math can improve your overall math skills by increasing your mental agility, number sense, and problem-solving abilities. It can also save time and help you to make quick and accurate calculations in everyday life situations.

5. How can I stay motivated while trying to improve my math skills?

Staying motivated while trying to improve your math skills can be challenging, but it is important to set achievable goals and celebrate your progress. You can also try to make math fun by using games, puzzles, or real-life scenarios to apply your skills. Additionally, surrounding yourself with a supportive and encouraging learning environment can also help to keep your motivation high.