Daily Habits for improving Physics/Math Knowledge and skill

• Studying
  • Thread starter majormuss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Knowledge
In summary, the conversation suggests that as a first-year graduate student in a physics PhD program, the individual is looking for new habits to improve their knowledge and skills in physics and math. They are more interested in passive habits that do not require active studying. However, the suggestion given is to continue working hard and actively solving physics problems with pencil and paper. The use of a math calendar is also recommended as a low-key motivation to improve math skills.
majormuss
Hi,
I am a first-year graduate student in a physics phd program in the US, who is looking to adopt new habits that can directly help improve my physics/math knowledge and skills. I am not necessarily talking about memorizing math multiplication/division tricks etc. I am more interested in daily habits that allow me to "passively" improve my knowledge of advanced math/stats and physics concepts my knowledge. By "passively", I mean habits that don't require me to sit up on my desk at specific times with a notebook and a textbook, actively reading and solving problems. I am trying to improve my math/physics skillset by working smarter with better habits rather than simply working harder. Tips that incorporate technology (tablets, notebooks etc.) are even better.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a very simple answer. However, it does not involve technical devices to do the job for you, at least not directly. Will say a notebook is convenient, but a library will do.

Stay curious! Do not stop asking why!

That is not the kind of concern that a graduate student of Physics would have. Even if first-year.

symbolipoint said:
That is not the kind of concern that a graduate student of Physics would have. Even if first-year.
Why is that? Graduate students are above the desire to become better at what they do?

My experience is there is no substitute for careful pencil and paper solutions to lots and lots of physics problems.

Learning time is most effective with the pencil moving.

And rather than passively review problems one has already worked, it is more effective to work them again, completely, with pencil and paper.

If you are not already spending 10-20 hours a week working physics problems, you need to work harder, not smarter. Your PhD qualifying exams will either spank you or reward you.

Likes majormuss
majormuss said:
looking to adopt new habits that can directly help improve my physics/math knowledge and skills
A small thing that is easy to do and helpful IMO is to buy a Math Calendar each year. The answer to the math problem of the day is the date in the month (so no mystery), and some calculations are not too hard, but others are very hard requiring some research and learning new things. Hang this on your wall for a low-key motivation to keep improving your math skills...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1884550797/?tag=pfamazon01-20

51DIPIMIefL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Attachments

• 51DIPIMIefL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    51DIPIMIefL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Likes majormuss and Dr. Courtney
Dr. Courtney said:
My experience is there is no substitute for careful pencil and paper solutions to lots and lots of physics problems.

Learning time is most effective with the pencil moving.

And rather than passively review problems one has already worked, it is more effective to work them again, completely, with pencil and paper.

If you are not already spending 10-20 hours a week working physics problems, you need to work harder, not smarter. Your PhD qualifying exams will either spank you or reward you.
I am definitely surpassing 10-20 hours per week. I do like your suggestion though.

Likes Klystron

What are some daily habits that can improve my physics/math knowledge and skill?

Some daily habits that can improve your physics/math knowledge and skill include practicing problems regularly, reading textbooks and articles related to the subject, attending lectures and workshops, discussing concepts with peers, and seeking help from tutors or professors when needed.

How much time should I dedicate to practicing physics/math on a daily basis?

The amount of time you should dedicate to practicing physics/math on a daily basis depends on your individual learning style and schedule. However, it is generally recommended to spend at least 1-2 hours each day practicing problems and reviewing concepts to see a noticeable improvement in your knowledge and skill.

What are some tips for staying motivated while practicing physics/math daily?

Some tips for staying motivated while practicing physics/math daily include setting achievable goals, breaking up your study sessions into smaller, manageable chunks, rewarding yourself for completing tasks, and finding a study partner or group to hold you accountable.

How can I track my progress in improving my physics/math knowledge and skill?

You can track your progress in improving your physics/math knowledge and skill by keeping a record of the problems you have solved, taking practice tests, and regularly reviewing your notes. Additionally, you can seek feedback from your peers or instructors to identify areas where you can improve.

Are there any online resources or tools that can help me improve my physics/math knowledge and skill?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools that can help you improve your physics/math knowledge and skill. Some examples include online practice problems and quizzes, video tutorials, and virtual study groups. It is important to carefully evaluate these resources and choose ones that align with your learning style and goals.