How Can I Improve My Performance in Physics?

• Thread starter Prototype44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Some people swear by working out problems, others by studying derivations. whatever works for you. Just make sure you're doing something to help you learn the material.
Prototype44
I am currently enrolled in a grade 11 algerbraic physics class and I had trouble with one lab report and one quiz.

First off I will talk about the lab, before spring break I received the same notice for the lab report as the other students meaning it was due on tuesday after spring break and I took my results home which was paper that had been dotted by a ticker tape timer since we were analyzing the motion of a vehicle. Sometime in spring break on a Tuesday or Monday my mother accidently threw away the paper that had been dotted, I had to do the experiment again which I did on monday following spring break. I thought that I had one day to do the lab since it was due on tuesday but my physics teacher gave us an extension to thursday and I still could not do it until then so she gave me an extension to midnight on friday which I was able to make. The problem with the lab was the fact that I could not understand what I was doing. I was supposed to find acceleration and velocity which I did but they fluctuated and were not supposed to since the car was supposed to go from a high speed to a low speed due to friction. I also had trouble making a line of best fit. The lab overall took me more then 24+ hours which is not normal and screwed up my sleep habits. It affected my grade in math since I got a 60 on a trig quiz and a 50 on a log quiz on Thursday, the day it was due. I wanted to study for them but I had to do the lab report in physics and I did not want to dissapoint the physics teacher by getting a 0. I did the lab report by myself by the way and I need to know what I should do if I had a quiz for math or 2 quizzes for math on the same day. Should I study for math and ask for an extension in physics even though I would risk a bad grade?. Math is important for the cegep program I am applying to. Physics is also important as well.

I will keep this short about the quiz. I did all the questions that the teacher assigned plus more then 10 questions on another sheet relevant to the topic, I also came to her tutorial. When it came time to do the quiz I did not answer the first question right and did not get any of the answers for number 3 but it was a multiple choice. What should I do next time to prepare for a quiz or test?

I want to try and get good marks in that subject since I will be applying to pure and applied science at Dawson College. This is affecting my mindset (I have become depressed) and I might develop a hopeless attitude toward the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
What should I do next time to prepare for a quiz or test?

Find the right way to prepare for a quiz or test.

This sounds flippant, but everyone prepares differently. There's people on this board who'll swear up and down that working a ton of problems will get you places. Me, I just study the derivations and run through some representative problems. Find the combination of studying derivations and working problems that works for you.

I wasn't sure whether to respond to your tale of the physics lab since your post was unclear, but I'll respond anyway. Best thing I can tell you is to learn how to weigh assignments. Working yourself to death over 1% of your final grade is not a good idea if there are two things worth 3% of your final grade that also need your attention. When you are short on time, prioritize. Other than that, all's I can say is, don't let your mom clean your room. Ever. Things get thrown away: assignments, sentimental notes from an old girlfriend, life-saving drugs, fun drugs, your pet rabbit.. best to do it yourself.

Angry Citizen said:
Find the right way to prepare for a quiz or test.
This is true. A good portion of my bachelors was spent discovering what the right study techniques are for myself.

1. What are some common reasons people struggle with physics?

Some common reasons people struggle with physics include not having a strong foundation in math, not understanding the concepts and theories, and not practicing enough problem-solving techniques.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

To improve your understanding of physics, it is important to start by building a strong foundation in math. Then, try to understand the basic principles and theories before moving on to more complex concepts. Practice solving problems and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed.

3. Is physics a difficult subject to learn?

Physics can be a challenging subject for many people, but it is also a very rewarding and interesting field of study. With dedication and practice, anyone can improve their understanding of physics.

4. What resources are available to help with physics difficulties?

There are many resources available to help with physics difficulties, including textbooks, online tutorials and videos, study groups, and tutoring services. It is important to find the resources that work best for your learning style.

5. How can I stay motivated when struggling with physics?

Staying motivated while struggling with physics can be difficult, but it is important to remember the ultimate goal of understanding a fascinating subject. Set achievable goals and reward yourself for progress. Seek support from friends, family, or teachers when feeling overwhelmed.