How can I improve my writing posture?

• Thread starter PeteyCoco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary: Avoid slouching, and keep the back straight.In summary, if you have back pain when sitting, a drafting table may help, but they're not cheap. You could also try a standing desk, or sit on a ball.
PeteyCoco
I've recently found that my back aches when I sit down to work on an assignment or do some readings. Maintaining good posture while working at the computer is something that I can improve by just being mindful of how I sit, but I find it very difficult to sit up straight while writing since it does not feel good at all to be so far from the page. I've heard that a drafting desk might help since I'd be writing on a sloped surface, however they are not cheap and I've read that some find that it strains your wrist to write at an angle.

If you have experience writing at a drafting table I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether or not it is worth the investment. Also, if you have any tips in general about how to improve writing posture I'd love to hear it!

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
Buy an ergonomic chair and take breaks often. Don't slouch, keep the back straight.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Greg Bernhardt said:
Buy an ergonomic chair and take breaks often. Don't slouch, keep the back straight.
Or sit on a swiss ball. Really.

Likes Silicon Waffle
PeteyCoco said:
I've heard that a drafting desk might help since I'd be writing on a sloped surface, however they are not cheap

Home improvement stores all sell wood tabletops like this that you could try by propping one up with a physics book...

http://www.homedepot.com/b/N-5yc1v/Ntk-All/Ntt-pine?Nao=24&Ntx=mode+matchall&NCNI-5http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/f1/f1f00ded-0ee5-450d-9a6f-58a56385bf05_300.jpg

it's about twice as big as you need but first cut is free.. perhaps you and a friend could partner up for two of them.
The square edge should work for your tee-square.

Pine is a bit soft for a writing surface but three coats of polyurethane varnish will toughen it right up.old jim

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
Have you had your eyesight checked recently? You might be unaware that you're leaning in because you can't see what you're reading.

All of the posts I clicked 'like' in this thread really cracked me up. None of their ideas are nonsensical at all. :approve: Excellent and very imagery.

lisab said:
Have you had your eyesight checked recently? You might be unaware that you're leaning in because you can't see what you're reading.
A bright table lamp may also help.

How about a standing-desk? One of those desks that's so high it forces you to stand.

Get one of those ball thingies, when you sit on it, it keeps your back straight.
balance-ball-feat.jpg

Related to How can I improve my writing posture?

1. What are some common issues with writing posture?

Some common issues with writing posture include slouching, hunching over the desk, leaning to one side, and placing excessive strain on the neck and shoulders.

2. How can I improve my writing posture?

To improve your writing posture, start by sitting up straight with your back against the chair. Keep your feet flat on the ground and your shoulders relaxed. Adjust the height of your chair and desk to ensure your arms are at a 90-degree angle when typing. Take breaks and stretch regularly to avoid sitting in one position for too long.

3. Is there a recommended position for my computer or laptop?

Yes, the top of your computer screen should be at or slightly below eye level. This will help prevent straining your neck and eyes. If using a laptop, consider using a separate keyboard and elevating the screen to the correct height.

4. Can using ergonomic tools help improve my writing posture?

Yes, there are many ergonomic tools available that can help improve your writing posture. These include ergonomic chairs, wrist rests, and adjustable desks. They are designed to provide support and promote proper posture while writing.

5. How long does it take to see improvements in my writing posture?

The time it takes to see improvements in your writing posture will vary depending on your current habits and the steps you take to improve. However, with consistent effort and adjustments, you should start to see improvements within a few weeks.