How can I know when to use different trigonometric functions?

In summary, the use of sine and cosine functions in equating the force's components in the given problem allows for the determination of the maximum weight of the flowerpot that can be supported without exceeding a cable tension of 50lb. The calculations provided by the professor involve finding the horizontal and vertical components of the tensions in lines AB and AC, which are used to establish the static equilibrium of the flowerpot. The tangent function is not used in this scenario as it is primarily used for computing friction.
ann
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Can someone please explain to me why in this problem, for example, the sine and cosine functions are used in equating the force's components? I am having a hard time solving for these unknown forces because of my rusty trig skills.

It asks to "determine the maximum weight of the flowerpot that can be supported without exceeding a cable tension of 50lb in either cable AB or AC." My professor provided these calculations:
∑Fx=0
F_AC*sin(30)-F_AB*cos(53.13)=0
50*sin(30)-F_AB*cos(53.13)=0
F_AB=41.66lb

∑Fy=0
F_AC*cos(30)+F_AB*sin(53.13)-W=0
50*cos(30)+41.66*sin(53.13)-W=0
W=76.63 lb

Why did they use the sine and cosine functions for this specific problem. Where they used the sine function, for example, why couldn't they have used a tangent function instead?

Attachments

• 20140604_112408-1.jpg
    20140604_112408-1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
You should also review what the sine and cosine of an acute angle mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometry

It helps to complete the triangles when trying to decide which trig function to use.

For the example in the OP, draw a horizontal line from C perpendicular to the vertical axis.

Draw a vertical line from B perpendicular to the horizontal axis.

What you want to do is calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the tensions in lines AB and AC.
You use these components to establish the static equilibrium of the flower pot.

The tangent function has virtually no use in computing components, unless you are dealing with friction.

What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant, and cotangent. These functions are used to calculate the ratios of sides of a right triangle.

When should I use the sine function?

The sine function is used to calculate the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate forces and angles.

Why is the cosine function important?

The cosine function is used to calculate the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle. It is commonly used in geometry and navigation to calculate angles and distances.

When should I use the tangent function?

The tangent function is used to calculate the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side in a right triangle. It is commonly used in trigonometry and calculus to solve for unknown angles or sides.

What is the difference between the inverse trigonometric functions?

The inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, are used to find the angle of a triangle when the ratios of its sides are known. They are the inverse of the basic trigonometric functions and are commonly used in solving equations and finding missing angles in triangles.