How can I manage my anxiety and meet work deadlines during a stressful week?

• Studying
  • Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, managing anxiety and meeting work deadlines during a stressful week can be achieved through prioritizing tasks, setting realistic goals, practicing self-care, and seeking support from colleagues or professionals. It is important to acknowledge and address any underlying causes of anxiety, establish a healthy work-life balance, and maintain a positive mindset. Implementing effective time management strategies and finding healthy coping mechanisms can also greatly help in managing anxiety and meeting deadlines successfully.
ergospherical
Two questions, but one thread will suffice.

1) Feeling very tired/foggy and haven't felt naturally motivated to work much at physics in the last couple of weeks, instead opting for distractions and a fair bit of idling. Is this a sign of burnout, or does this sound normal?

2) Due to some personal reasons, I've been (will be) extremely anxious for the last few days (the next few days). And then there's various (unrelated) work deadlines to meet fairly soon, but because of this pretty non-stop uneasy/restless state I've really had trouble getting around to doing these assignments & haven't been sleeping, etc.

Anything that's worked for you in the short-term to make this week less tense? Question 2) is more important than question 1), but possibly related (?). I've tried spending time outside, cooking, games etc. but these are only fleeting solutions!

Physics news on Phys.org
ergospherical said:
1) Feeling very tired/foggy and haven't felt naturally motivated to work much at physics in the last couple of weeks, instead opting for distractions and a fair bit of idling. Is this a sign of burnout, or does this sound normal?

2) Due to some personal reasons, I've been (will be) extremely anxious for the last few days (the next few days). And then there's various (unrelated) work deadlines to meet fairly soon, but because of this pretty non-stop uneasy/restless state I've really had trouble getting around to doing these assignments & haven't been sleeping, etc.
Well, certainly interrupted/disrupted sleep, or restless sleep will lead to feeling foggy and/or tired, and stress-related anxiety will result in problems with sleep. Having many commitments/deadlines can cause one stress/anxiety, so it's important not to over-commit.

It is important to make time to relax and put things aside, and do something enjoyable and physical, e.g., walking in the woods, or in a flower garden, or somewhere one enjoys.

It is also important to recognize the sources of stress/anxiety and then put things in perspective, whereby one can lessen the stress/anxiety.

Distractions and idling is simply avoidance of matters that need attention, and usually, that may lead to additional stress/anxiety/worry.

It's not necessarily burnout, but certainly an accumulation of stress/anxiety/worry will lead to burnout.

Meditation might help. By meditation, I mean letting things go for the moment, clearing one's mind. It's a bit like being stuck on a problem one is trying to solve, and sometimes it's best to put aside, do something different, but fun, and coming back to the problem when the mind is less engaged, or troubled. Sometimes, while relaxing, the solution to a problem comes to one.

Likes vela and ergospherical

Strategies for stress​

Easy: just more workload than time to handle!

ergospherical said:

Have a read, it may be useful:

https://www.ams.org/publications/journals/notices/201707/rnoti-p718.pdf

ergospherical said:

Anything that's worked for you in the short-term to make this week less tense? Question 2) is more important than question 1), but possibly related (?). I've tried spending time outside, cooking, games etc. but these are only fleeting solutions!
You need to sleep, say at least 6 hours, better 8. I use these to get tired
https://www.medpex.de/schlaf-beruhigung-nervenstaerkung/wick-zzzquil-gute-nacht-p16894643

Whatever you do, you can only do one thing at a time, so maybe you should make a list and prioritize your tasks. Then there is no other way than to proceed step by step. We have a saying "Eile mit Weile". It means "hurry with ease", although Google translates it as "haste makes waste". This is unfortunately true, either version.

Likes ergospherical
ergospherical said:

I find the most useful short term solution to be hard physical exercise. I mean aerobic sweaty push your limits stuff. Better it be a contest, too, for the psychology. Basketball? Raquetball? Squash? Soccer (or one of the weird indoor variants). Of course one of the various torture machines can substitute. A hard cross-country ski works too but that is unlikely I would guess. But a good hard half hour (minimum).
Seriously for me this works two ways: the immediate release from the actvity itself and my sleep is always much improved. Of course this is hard-won knowledge and I didn't always successfully follow the program. Good wishes...its never as bad as you fear.

Likes Choppy, ergospherical, Hamiltonian and 2 others
Certainly this can be a stressful time of year, and that fact that we're going on two years into a pandemic certainly doesn't help. Unfortunately I don't think there's any magical cure all for stress.

Many strategies that can help to mitigate stress are long term. While perhaps less likely to help in the immediate moment, sometimes the experience of going through one of life's pinch points can serve as a trigger for building some long term strategies for resilience.
  1. A lot of stress in life stems from situations where we're made to feel responsible for things we have little to no control over. Mitigating this can be a challenge, but sometimes it can be important to take a step back and spend some time considering the bigger picture of your life.
    Consider your long term goals. And perhaps re-define them in terms of those factors you have control over. As an example, consider graduate school admission. You can't control a given admission committee's decision. But what you can control are factors such as: the quality of the application, the research you do into the program, the effort you put into your studies, the research opportunities you capitalize on as an undergraduate, etc.
  2. In the context of your longer term goals, make sure to establish your priorities. Inevitably you'll end up in situations where you have to make tough decisions where outcomes won't be guaranteed and there's no clear right or wrong answer. This generates stress. But when you can view these problems against a set of well-established priorities, it often becomes easier to select the path that's best for you at the time.
  3. Recognize with a lot of big decisions there are no perfect answers. I think a lot of people are brought up to believe that all situations have solutions that are either correct or incorrect. The age-old dilemma of "physics or engineering" faced by students who enjoy STEM trying to choose an undergraduate degree is an example. Often with multi-objective optimization problems, the best you can do is get yourself onto a Pareto front where advances in one objective come at the consequence of deficits in another.
  4. Recognize the people around you who add to your stress and avoid them. I know sometimes you can't completely block them out, but you can come up with strategies for controlling your interactions like recognizing those behaviors that stress you out and minimizing them. I once had a friend who stressed me out after exams by intensely scrutinizing and wanting to compare every answer. I found it really helped to reduce that post-exam anxiety when I made a rule that we didn't talk about exams until after we got the marks back.
  5. Take good care of yourself. By this I mean get adequate sleep and exercise. Eat a nutritious and well-balanced diet. Allow yourself down time. Socialize. And again, this is a long term-strategy. You're going to end up doing a lot better on that exam the morning after you have one sleepless night if all your other nights have been restful.
  6. When you find yourself in non-constructive down time... mindless internet surfing, doom scrolling, watching TV that you're not interested in... and otherwise procrastinating, sometimes that's your body's way of telling you that you need to build some down time into your schedule.
  7. To the extent that you can, work in time to read up on things that interest you for their own sake. While this might not seem like it does much, sometimes a little free-reading is all you need to remember why you love the field you're in.

Likes Amrator, Astronuc, ergospherical and 1 other person
And peruse PF with an eye to relieving someone else's stress!

You can always go nuts like George and Batman:

Don't burnout like I did... :-(
Several times...

What are some effective strategies for stress relief?

Some effective strategies for stress relief include exercise, meditation, deep breathing, spending time in nature, and talking to a trusted friend or therapist.

How can exercise help with stress relief?

Exercise can help with stress relief by releasing endorphins, which are chemicals in the brain that can improve mood and reduce stress. It can also provide a distraction from stressful thoughts and help to improve overall physical and mental well-being.

What is the role of meditation in stress relief?

Meditation can help with stress relief by promoting relaxation and reducing the body's response to stress. It can also help to improve focus and mindfulness, allowing individuals to better manage their thoughts and emotions.

Why is spending time in nature beneficial for stress relief?

Spending time in nature can be beneficial for stress relief because it can help to reduce cortisol levels (a stress hormone) and promote a sense of calm and relaxation. It can also provide a break from technology and daily stressors.

How can talking to someone help with stress relief?

Talking to a trusted friend or therapist can help with stress relief by providing a supportive and non-judgmental outlet to express and process emotions. It can also help to gain perspective and receive helpful advice or coping strategies.