How Can I Maximize the Distance of a Cart Powered by Two Elastic Bands?

In summary, the conversation is about building a cart powered by two elastic bands and must travel at least 2 meters. The goal is to make it travel at least 12 meters. Suggestions are given on how to power the cart, such as using gears or wrapping the bands around the axles. It is also suggested to manually initiate the wrapping and to use the bands as a slingshot for maximum distance. Diagrams can also be provided. A question is asked about whether the car would travel further if the elastic band spun the front or rear axle, and it is determined that it won't matter but using the front axle may be more stable.
xtraxxl
I'm building a cart which must be powered by TWO elastic bands only,

it must ran at least 2 meters, which isn't hard, but my goal is at

least 12 meters, which isn't very hard either(the longer the better).

I have some ideas of how to power the cart and please help me to

choose and give me some more ideas!

(it must be in 3/4 wheels)

http://img148.exs.cx/img148/8108/115wv.jpg

http://img148.exs.cx/img148/2109/229wu.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic "rubber band car" is two axles with wheels on each end, and a rubber band wound around the axle to spin it. You anchor one end of the band to the car, wind up the wheels in reverse, and when you release the car the rubber band spins the axle and wheels and it rolls forward.

One option would be to have a gear driven axle. The rubber band would be attached to a fixed spot on the cart chassis, then over to the gear driving an axle. This would probably provide the most distance, as the rubber band can be twisted quite a bit wihtout changing it's overall legth very much. You should be able to find this stuff in a radio control / hobby store.

If gears and pullyes are not allowed I'd recommend wrapping the rubber bands under the front axle and over the rear axle so that both axles are being pulled at the same time. I would not have the rubber bands attached to either axle, so they just drop off once they've done their job, and the cart can then coast.

If letting the rubber bands fall off isn't allowed, then attached the rubber bands to the center of the car so they don't interfere with the cart as it coasts.

You'd have to manually initiate the wrap of each axle since the rubber bands aren't attached.

If it is only specifed that the car be powered by the bands, hook the two bands together, put a hook on the front of the car and pull the car back letting it fly like a sling shot! I wouldn't be surprised to see 15 or 20 meters.

If you use the bands as a motor, make sure you have just enough weight to press on the drive wheels, and the wheels should have enough traction to transfer the energy stored without slipping too much early in the trip.

Thank you for your suggestions! Can you guys please draw me some diagrams?
You can upload your img at www.imageshack.us

quick question...say there was only 1 elastic band (to make things simple) would the car travel furthere if the elastic spun the front axle or the rear axle? (not both)

Quantum_Prodegy said:
quick question...say there was only 1 elastic band (to make things simple) would the car travel furthere if the elastic spun the front axle or the rear axle? (not both)
it won't matter but front axle is more stable.

Related to How Can I Maximize the Distance of a Cart Powered by Two Elastic Bands?

What materials do I need to build a cart?

To build a cart, you will need a sturdy base, wheels, axles, and a handle. Other materials may include screws, nails, and wood glue.

What tools do I need to build a cart?

You will need basic hand tools such as a saw, hammer, drill, and screwdriver. Depending on the complexity of your cart, you may also need a measuring tape, level, and clamps.

How do I determine the size and dimensions of my cart?

The size and dimensions of your cart will depend on its intended use. Consider factors such as the weight it will need to support, the size of the items it will carry, and the space it will need to fit in. Measure and plan accordingly before beginning construction.

What are some safety precautions I should take while building a cart?

While building a cart, it is important to wear appropriate safety gear such as goggles, gloves, and closed-toe shoes. Use caution when handling sharp tools and heavy materials. Follow all instructions carefully and ask for help if needed.

Can I customize my cart design?

Yes, you can customize your cart design to fit your specific needs and preferences. Consider adding features such as a foldable handle, storage compartments, or a unique paint job. Just be sure to keep safety and functionality in mind while making any modifications.