How can i measure high magnetic fields?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a suitable sensor for measuring high magnetic fields, specifically in the range of 1T-2T with an accuracy of 0.1 mT. Various methods are suggested, including using a rotating search coil or bending an electron beam, but it is ultimately concluded that a Hall probe may not be able to achieve the desired accuracy and that a NMR may be a better option.
Misiak
Hello!

I've made a lot of research about measurement of high magnetic fields - such us 1T - 2T and I can't find sensors for this range.
I'm looking for a hall sensor with which I will be able to measure 1T magnetic field with good accuracy - about 0.1 mT. Do you know about anything like that? The best for me will be sensor which is using some magistral to communicate.
Or maybe you know about another methods of measurement magnetic fields like that?Best regards
Misiak

Physics news on Phys.org
Rotating search coil .

Likes sophiecentaur
Nidum said:
Rotating search coil .
I can't see how can I add this to my system. And in addition, the electromagnes which I need to measure is supply with DC so probably the rotating coil won't work there.

A rotating coil magnetometer will work with AC or DC fields . They can be designed to measure a wide range of field strengths and can be made in small sizes if needs be .

Nidum said:
Rotating search coil .
How about using the field to bend an electron beam? The spot position on a CRT could indicate the field strength. That's an equivalent to the Hall effect.
Then what about using a magnetic shunt to reduce the field at the sensor? That could be a cheap solution but would need calibrating.

It will be hard to find a Hall probe that will do this. You're asking for 500 ppm accuracy, and a) none of the devices proposed do that, b) ultimately a Hall probe gets you a Hall voltage and measuring voltages to this accuracy is difficult, and c) a Hall probe measures the field along one direction. This is essentially at the extreme upper end of what is possible. You will probably have to go to NMR.

I tried to do just this with a 1.5T magnet and failed - multiple Hall probes were in disagreement with each other and not reproducible. NMR did much better.

1. How do I measure high magnetic fields?

To measure high magnetic fields, you will need a specialized instrument called a magnetometer. This device uses the principles of magnetism to detect and measure the strength of a magnetic field.

2. What is the range of magnetic fields that can be measured?

The range of magnetic fields that can be measured depends on the sensitivity of the magnetometer being used. Some instruments can measure fields as low as a few microteslas, while others can measure fields up to several teslas.

3. Can I measure magnetic fields in different directions?

Yes, you can measure magnetic fields in different directions using a 3-axis magnetometer. This instrument can measure the strength and direction of the magnetic field in three dimensions, allowing for a more complete understanding of the field.

4. How accurate are measurements of high magnetic fields?

The accuracy of measurements of high magnetic fields depends on the calibration and quality of the magnetometer being used. Most modern magnetometers have a high level of accuracy, with some being able to measure fields with an accuracy of a few parts per million.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when measuring high magnetic fields?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when measuring high magnetic fields. Strong magnetic fields can affect electronic devices and can be harmful to individuals with pacemakers or other medical devices. It is recommended to consult with a professional and follow all safety guidelines when working with high magnetic fields.