How can I obtain the reciprocal lattice of graphene?

In summary, the conversation discusses the reciprocal lattice of graphene and how it can be identified from LEED patterns. The lattice of graphene is hexagonal and the structure is honeycomb, which can be inferred from systematic absences of peaks. The question is raised about how to theoretically determine the honeycomb structure and reciprocal lattice in cases where the lattice is not a Bravais lattice.
skyhj105
I have a question about reciprocal lattice of graphene.
When we see LEED pattern, we can know that reciprocal lattice of graphene is honeycomb.
But how can we know theorically that it is honeycomb?
Hexagonal lattice or other bravais lattice has just lattice vectors which don`t contain baises.
So it is just straight forward.
In case of graphene which is not a bravais lattice, how can we get a reciprocal lattice?

Physics news on Phys.org
The lattice is hexagonal, dot. The structure is honeycomb. You can infer this from sytematic absences of peaks.

DrDu said:
The lattice is hexagonal, dot. The structure is honeycomb. You can infer this from sytematic absences of peaks.
Thank you for your answer.
But I just know that how can we calculate reciprocal lattice in case of not a bravais lattice.

All lattices are bravais lattices. Aa honecomb structure (not lattice) is formed from a hexagonal lattice an a basis consisting of two atoms.

1. What is the reciprocal lattice of graphene?

The reciprocal lattice of graphene refers to the set of points in reciprocal space that correspond to the periodicity of the graphene lattice in real space. It is often represented as a hexagonal lattice with a basis of two reciprocal lattice vectors.

2. How can I visualize the reciprocal lattice of graphene?

The reciprocal lattice of graphene can be visualized using techniques such as X-ray diffraction or electron diffraction. These methods involve scattering a beam of X-rays or electrons off of the graphene lattice, resulting in a pattern that reflects the periodicity of the reciprocal lattice.

3. How can I obtain the reciprocal lattice vectors of graphene?

The reciprocal lattice vectors of graphene can be obtained by taking the inverse of the real space lattice vectors. In the case of graphene, the reciprocal lattice vectors are perpendicular to the real space lattice vectors and have a magnitude of 2π/a, where a is the lattice constant of graphene.

4. Can I use a software program to obtain the reciprocal lattice of graphene?

Yes, there are various software programs available that can calculate the reciprocal lattice of graphene based on its crystal structure and lattice parameters. Some examples include VESTA, Materials Studio, and CrystalMaker.

5. What are the applications of understanding the reciprocal lattice of graphene?

Understanding the reciprocal lattice of graphene is crucial for studying its electronic, optical, and mechanical properties. It is also important for designing and engineering graphene-based devices, such as transistors, sensors, and energy storage devices.