How can I optimize 3000 variables for spline control points in image warping?

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of a paper in Matlab for nonlinearly warping images using free form deformation. The topic of optimizing the deformation of spline control points is raised, with the suggestion to use techniques such as gradient descent or genetic algorithms. The idea of reducing the number of variables by clustering control points is also mentioned.
physical101
Dear All

Firstly thank you for looking at my post. I am trying to nonlinearly warp an image with respect to another using a free form deformation. I am trying to code the following paper in matlab:

http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~cis/cista/746/papers/RueckertFreeFormBreastMRI.pdf

I understand most of the implementation but was left confused about how to optimise the deformation of the spline control points. In the paper grid points are moved in order to minimise a mutual information metric, I am using simple overlap minimisation but the procedure should be the same. Can you really optimise 3000 variables? Or have I missed the point entirely.

Hoping you can help

Physical101

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can optimize 3000 variables. Generally, techniques such as gradient descent or other optimization algorithms are used to minimize the cost function. You may want to consider using a genetic algorithm, as this could be more efficient than gradient descent in this case. Additionally, you may want to try reducing the number of variables by clustering the control points, which will reduce the number of free variables.

Related to How can I optimize 3000 variables for spline control points in image warping?

1. What is B grid spline optimisation?

B grid spline optimisation is a mathematical technique used to find the optimal shape of a curve or surface based on a set of data points. It involves using B-splines, which are mathematical functions that can be used to represent complex curves and surfaces.

2. How does B grid spline optimisation work?

B grid spline optimisation works by fitting a smooth curve or surface to a set of data points. This is done by creating a grid of control points and using mathematical equations to manipulate the positions of these points until the curve or surface best fits the data.

3. What are the advantages of using B grid spline optimisation?

B grid spline optimisation has several advantages, including its ability to handle large and complex data sets, its flexibility in fitting curves and surfaces to the data, and its ability to smooth out noisy or irregular data.

4. What are some common applications of B grid spline optimisation?

B grid spline optimisation is commonly used in computer graphics, animation, and CAD (computer-aided design) software. It is also used in scientific and engineering applications for data analysis and visualization.

5. Are there any limitations to B grid spline optimisation?

While B grid spline optimisation is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not always produce the most accurate results, especially when dealing with highly complex or noisy data. Additionally, it can be computationally expensive and require a significant amount of computing power.