How can I prove the trigonometry identity \sin^4 - \cos^4 = 1 - 2\cos^2?

In summary, Pavadrin is asking for help proving an identity, but is unsure on how to proceed with the LHS.
pavadrin
i need to prove the following identity

[tex]\sin^4 - \cos^4 = 1 - 2\cos^2[/tex]

i have tried approaching this identity by solving the RHS (right hand side) of the equation but this lead no where. however i am unsure on how to maniplulate the LHS of this equation because of the power of 4. would somebody please be able to give me a slight hint in which direction to head to prove this?
many thanks,
Pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to factorize [tex]a^2-b^2[/tex]? How can you use this to help you factorize [tex]a^4-b^4[/tex]?

Also, the identity should have a variable (i.e. instead of [tex]sin^4[/tex], it should be [tex]sin^4x[/tex]).

All the best!

oh, my mistake i forgot the [itex]\theta[/itex] sign after the trigonometric functions. i am not sure on how top factorise, sorry :(

Long, long, long, before you learn about trigonometry, you should have learned that a2- b2= (a- b)(a+ b). And if we replace a by x2 and b by y2, we get that
x4- y4= (x2- y2)(x2+ y2). And what is x2+ y2 in this case?

can [itex]x^2 + y^2[/itex] be factorised? I've tried [itex](x + y)(x + y)[/itex], [itex](x - y)(x - y)[/itex], but neither have worked. am i completely missing the point here? its been a while since i have had to factorise. thanks

pavadrin said:
can [itex]x^2 + y^2[/itex] be factorised? I've tried [itex](x + y)(x + y)[/itex], [itex](x - y)(x - y)[/itex], but neither have worked. am i completely missing the point here? its been a while since i have had to factorise. thanks
In this case you don't have to, since [itex]x^2=sin^2\theta[/itex] and [itex]y^2=cos^2\theta[/itex].

we don't need to factorize. Just use:

[tex] sin^{4} \theta = sin^{2} \theta \cdot sin^{2} \theta[/tex]

[tex] sin^{2} \theta = 1 - cos^{2} \theta[/tex]

[tex] (1-cos^{2} \theta) \cdot (1-cos^{2} \theta) = 1 - 2\cdot cos^{2} \theta + cos^{4} \theta[/tex]

Now substract [itex] cos^{4} \theta[/itex] and you got your proof.

okay thanks for the help people, sorry to be a little slow

In addition to what these people said: you should try to remember identities that will serve as shortcuts when proving identities.

like: Sin^2 + Cos^2=1 <= this may be the most important one

Sin^2= 1 - Cos^2

Cos^2= 1 - Sin^2

hmm? said:
like: Sin^2 + Cos^2=1 <= this may be the most important one

Sin^2= 1 - Cos^2

Cos^2= 1 - Sin^2
You're missing an angle here.
It should read sin2x, not just sin2 :)

VietDao29 said:
You're missing an angle here.
It should read sin2x, not just sin2 :)

You're absolutely right--all those -1 from omitted thetas and xs from test questions still haven't sunk in :/...haha.

Unfortunately, I have had students declare that
[tex]\frac{sin x}{sin y}= \frac{x}{y}[/tex]!

HallsofIvy said:

There aren't any parentheses, so it could just be that s, i, and n are all variables

HallsofIvy said:
... :rolleyes: *no comments* :)

HallsofIvy said:
Well, I used to think [tex]\frac{sin x}{x} = sin[/tex] but then I found out it's worse than that. It's not just any sin, it's an X-rated video filmed in someone's kitchen sinc.

Related to How can I prove the trigonometry identity \sin^4 - \cos^4 = 1 - 2\cos^2?

1. What is a trigonometry identity?

A trigonometry identity is an equation that relates different trigonometric functions. These identities can be used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations.

2. Why are trigonometry identities important?

Trigonometry identities are important because they allow us to transform complex trigonometric expressions into simpler ones, making it easier to solve equations and perform calculations.

3. What are some common trigonometry identities?

Some common trigonometry identities include the Pythagorean identity (sin²θ + cos²θ = 1), the double angle identities (sin2θ = 2sinθcosθ, cos2θ = cos²θ - sin²θ), and the sum and difference identities (sin(α ± β) = sinαcosβ ± cosαsinβ).

4. How can I memorize trigonometry identities?

One way to memorize trigonometry identities is by understanding the patterns and relationships between the different functions. Creating flashcards or practicing with sample problems can also help with memorization.

5. Can I use trigonometry identities in real-world applications?

Yes, trigonometry identities are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They can be used to model and solve real-world problems involving angles and distances.