How can I recognize and use pi as input in a C program?

• Thread starter Parmenides
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, the conversation discusses how to have a user input integration limits using scanf and recognize pi as the input. Suggestions include using two separate inputs and multiplying one with pi, comparing the input string to fixed values or patterns, defining special numbers, or having users memorize enough digits of pi. However, it is important to consider the potential complications of allowing flexible user inputs and it may be better to specify units or use a language that can evaluate string inputs as code.
Parmenides
Hello,

I'm trying to learn C and am only a couple weeks into it. Suppose I want to write a simple code for Trapezoidal integration and want to have the user input the integration limits via use of scanf. Also, suppose I want to focus on only trig functions such that a common limit is pi. How could I have the program recognize pi as the typed input? Let's assume I'm using the <math.h> statement "#define M_PI 3.141592653589793238462643". Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
You can make two separate inputs, multiply one with pi and add them. That way, a user can easily choose 1*pi+0 as integration border.

If you want to keep a single input:
You can read the input as string and compare it to some fixed values ("pi", "pi/2", ...) or even some patterns like "pi*123.456" where 123.456 represents an arbitrary floating point number.
Alternatively, define special numbers that get interpreted as pi or multiples of pi. Like "integration from 0 to -1 means integration from 0 to pi" or whatever. Messy, but possible. Or just let the users memorize enough digits of pi :p.

Parmenides said:
How could I have the program recognize pi as the typed input?
I assume you mean that the text "pi" is in the input string. You can check using strstr( input_string, "pi" ). It is common to read the inputs as a string and test its contents using sscanf (the double 's' is not a typo) and strtok.

I should warn you that allowing flexibility for user inputs can open a can of worms and put you in parsing hell. It might be better for you to specify the units of the inputs (radians, degrees, or rotations.) with a prompt or documentation. Some languages have the ability to evaluate a string as code. That would let the user input an entire math formula in that language and the language can calculate the result. C does not allow that.

Last edited:

1. How do I use Pi with scanf in C?

To use Pi with scanf in C, you will need to include the math.h library in your code. Then, you can declare a variable to store the value of Pi using the constant M_PI. Finally, you can use this variable in your scanf statement like any other variable.

2. Can I use Pi in a scanf statement without the math.h library?

No, you cannot use Pi in a scanf statement without the math.h library. The constant M_PI is defined in this library and is necessary for accessing the value of Pi in your code.

3. How do I correctly format Pi in a scanf statement?

Pi can be formatted in a scanf statement using the %lf specifier for a double-precision floating-point number. This is because the value of Pi is a decimal number, and using the %lf specifier will ensure that the value is read correctly from the user's input.

4. Is it possible to use Pi as a variable in scanf in C?

Yes, it is possible to use Pi as a variable in scanf in C. As mentioned before, you can declare a variable to store the value of Pi using the constant M_PI and then use this variable in your scanf statement.

5. Can I use Pi with scanf to calculate the area or circumference of a circle?

Yes, you can use Pi with scanf to calculate the area or circumference of a circle. You can prompt the user to input the radius of the circle, store it in a variable, and then use the formula for area or circumference, using the variable for Pi, to calculate the desired value.