How can I resize one line to match another line with different values?

• MHB
  • Thread starter xNICK1
  • Start date
In summary, you need to resize the second line so that it is between 0 and 100 instead of 0 and 1 in order to make it match the first line.
xNICK1
Hey, I need to re size one line so it matches the second line. So Line 1's highest point is 100 and its lowest point is 0. Line 2's highest point is 1 and its lowest point is 0. Line 1 is currently at 30 and line 2 is currently at .7, how could I re size line 2 to be between 0 and 100 instead of 0 and 1 so that line 2 would then be at 70 not .7. This is just a simple example, but I am sure there is a formula for this i just can figure it out myself. Thanks for your time and help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You'll have to be much more detailed in order to explain the problem properly.

xNICK said:
So Line 1's highest point is 100 and its lowest point is 0.
What do you mean by the line here? A sine wave? What do you mean that the highest point is 100? Namely, how can a point be a number?

xNICK said:
Line 1 is currently at 30
What does this mean? A line is presumably an infinite set of points, and you can't specify even a single point with a single number.

xNICK said:
how could I re size line 2
What exactly do you mean by resizing?

Sorry for the confusion, I have 2 different graphs, graph1's highest is 100 and lowest is 0, then graph2's highest is 1 and lowest is 0. I want to overlay both these graphs on the same graph. So if i put graph2 onto graph1, when graph2 goes to .3 its then 30 on graph1 instead of being .3? Does that make better since? Thanks again.

xNICK said:
how could I re size line 2 to be between 0 and 100 instead of 0 and 1
If the Cartesian equation of the second line (curve) is $y=f(x)$, change it to $y=100\cdot f(x)$.

Olinguito said:
If the Cartesian equation of the second line (curve) is $y=f(x)$, change it to $y=100\cdot f(x)$.

I don't know what that means, but this is what I was looking for.
Graph1==G1
Highest==100
Lowest==0
Current line == 70

Graph2==G2
Highest==1
Lowest==0
Current line == .3

So to put graph2 onto graph1, I would take (G2 line ".3" - G2 lowest "0") / (G2 Highest "1" - G2 lowest "0")=.3 so X==.3,
then (((G1 highest "100" - G1 lowest "0") * X ) + G1 Lowest "0") = 30. So I re sized my line on g2 at .3 to be on g1 at 30.
No idea what this formula is called if anyone knows. I made it from this formula xp=x1+p(x2-x1).
Thanks for all the help! Sorry I probably didnt explain it well enough. Let me know if it make since now ? Thanks again!

1. How can I resize one line to match another line with different values?

One way to resize one line to match another line with different values is by using a scaling factor. This involves multiplying each value in the first line by a certain factor to match the values in the second line.

2. Can I use a formula to resize one line to match another line with different values?

Yes, you can use a formula to resize one line to match another line with different values. One commonly used formula is the "proportion" formula, which involves finding the ratio between the values in the two lines and using that ratio to resize the first line.

3. Is it possible to resize one line to match another line with different values without changing the original values?

Yes, it is possible to resize one line to match another line with different values without changing the original values. This can be done by creating a new line with the resized values, while keeping the original values intact.

4. Are there any tools or software that can help with resizing lines to match each other?

Yes, there are many tools and software available that can help with resizing lines to match each other. Some popular options include spreadsheet programs like Microsoft Excel, which have built-in functions for resizing and scaling data.

5. What are some potential challenges when resizing one line to match another line with different values?

Some potential challenges when resizing one line to match another line with different values include finding the right scaling factor or formula, ensuring that the resized line maintains the same shape and proportions as the original, and dealing with missing or incomplete data in either line.