How can I safely salvage and understand basic motors at home?

• Thread starter thebrainstormer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motors
In summary: A cheap wireless control option could be to use a small receiver and transmitter pair to control the speed and torque of the motor remotely.
thebrainstormer
This is my first post, so please excuse any mistakes I might make. Sorry in advance.

First and foremost, if anyone thinks I am being unsafe in any way, please let me know. I like to do things hands-on. I learn best that way, but I want to be safe.

I am a budding electrical engineering student and I am trying to understand how to salvage basic motors at home. I think I have salvaged a motor from an old RC truck thing that was under my house for years. I'll try to attach a pic later. Now I have looked up the info printed on the motor there and it came up with http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-bin/catalog/e_catalog.cgi?CAT_ID=rc_280sa data sheet. On the motor that I have salvaged, there is a thick purple wire, a thick pink wire, and a thin brown wire. I think the thin brown wire may be ground, and the two thick ones may be connected? (See point 2 below)1. Is it correct to call this a DC motor? Could you know just by looking at it?

2. I have a 12V 900mA Class A DC transformer that I plan to use to power it. This produces 10.8 Watts, when it draws the full 900mA right?

3.When I touched the two leads of the power to the two thickest wires, there were small brief sparks and the motor seemed to jerk away. I think I was shorting out the DC voltage briefly. I think I should've tried putting + from power on one of the thick wires, and ground on the thin wire. I will try that later.

4. What it the cheapest tool I can order to control and/or monitor the speed/torque or just some basic data? Just a potentiometer for control? What about cheap wireless control? I hope to reuse this motor for other RC endeavors.

Any info is welcome, which is why I posted in a more general engineering forum. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to research this a little more. If you Google RC-280SA you will find many references. From the data sheet you already have, you should be able to see that a 12V power supply would be inappropriate here. Can you see why?

You can't necessarily tell if a motor is AC or DC just by looking at it, though there are certain types that are easy to spot. Take a look at "synchronous motors" to see one type that is easily recognisable. In general, however, it is safe to assume that a motor like this, of this size, with just two wires (I don't know what that third wire is but I suspect that it probably is a ground wire - what is it connected to at the motor?) and without any additional components attached is a DC motor. Beware, however, of servo motors of similar size. These will always have more than two wires and can be damaged if you just connect a power source across them!

The fact that the motor "seemed to jerk away" should suggest to you that you were probably connecting the right leads! Did it just jerk and stop, or did it run continuously? Use the right power supply (see above) and if it runs continuously, fine. If it doesn't then the motor may have seized or be corroded internally.

You can't really use a potentiometer directly to control a motor of this type - it would need a heavy-duty wire-wound one, and would be very inefficient. The best way is to use a variable voltage power supply. There are other ways, and I suggest you also look at the subject of PWM for more information.

What is a motor?

A motor is a machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It typically consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part) which interact to produce rotational motion.

What are the different types of motors?

There are various types of motors, such as DC motors, AC motors, servo motors, stepper motors, and linear motors. Each type has its own unique characteristics and uses, but they all operate on the same principle of converting electrical energy into mechanical energy.

How do motors work?

In simple terms, a motor works by using the interaction between a magnetic field and an electric current to create rotational motion. The electric current in the motor's windings produces a magnetic field, which interacts with the magnetic field of the stator to create a force that rotates the rotor.

What factors affect the performance of a motor?

The performance of a motor can be affected by several factors, such as the voltage and current supplied to the motor, the design of the motor, the load it is driving, and the environment in which it is operating. Other factors like temperature, friction, and wear and tear can also impact the performance of a motor.

How can I choose the right motor for my application?

Choosing the right motor for your application depends on several factors, such as the required torque and speed, the power source available, the size and weight limitations, and the environmental conditions. It is essential to consider these factors and consult with an expert to select the most suitable motor for your specific needs.