What materials do I need to wire a VFD?

In summary, Kevin is part of a senior design group that is building a dynonameter to test shocks. They are ordering parts and Kevin wants to make sure he is not missing anything. He has a list of parts including a three phase motor, a DURApulse GS3-21P0 AC Drive, and other necessary components. He has a question about how to wire the VFD to the motor and whether an extension cord will work for this purpose. There is also a discussion about using a regular outlet instead of a twist lock connector for safety reasons. Ultimately, it is recommended to use a 600V cabling for longer runs to the motor.
belae1ka
Hi everyone,

I am part of a senior design group that is building a dynonameter to test shocks. We are ordering parts tomorrow morning and so I want to make sure that I am not missing anything. I do not have any experience with VFD's or three phase motors but I am doing my best to research and learn more each and every day.

On my parts list I have a three phase motor, a DURApulse GS3-21P0 AC Drive, an input fuse kit for the VFD, a USB to RS-485 adapter (for MODBUS communication), a load-cell, and a temperature sensor.

My question is: To wire the VFD to the motor what will I need? I assume both the VFD and motor do not come with any wires. I need to connect the VFD to a three phase 50Amp outlet that will be used to power the VFD. My guess would be to order a three phase extension cord off a website like Amazon and then cut off one of the ends off and use the leads to wire to the VFD. Any thoughts? I was thinking perhaps an extension cord like this one; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVE91MK/?tag=pfamazon01-20

**Note: The extension cord in the link above is a 30Amp-250V extension cord. The power supply outlet is a 50Amp outlet. The motor will only draw a few Amps of current. Is it safe to assume that the extension cord provided in the link will be ok for use (provided that prongs are compatible) along with the VFD and the Power supply outlet?

Thank you!

-KevinThe Shock Dyno Control System
There will be two phases, a warm up phase and a test phase. The warm up phase consists of running the motor until the shock reaches a desired set temperature, when this happens the motor will stop running and there will be a small delay before automatically proceeding to the test phase. Once the test phase starts, the motor will start again and will run until a desired RPM is reached, during the test phase a graph will be plotting force (from load cell) vs RPM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Since your load will operate off of single phase at standard outlet current I highly recommend you use a regular outlet. If you wire something wrong on that you will be behind a much smaller safety device and risk is greatly reduced.

Also that extension is single phase and twist lock connectors are uniquely keyed so the different current ratings will not interchange.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
Since your load will operate off of single phase at standard outlet current I highly recommend you use a regular outlet. If you wire something wrong on that you will be behind a much smaller safety device and risk is greatly reduced.

Also that extension is single phase and twist lock connectors are uniquely keyed so the different current ratings will not interchange.

BoB
He's ordering a 3-phase motor so he'll need something like this. http://www.rackmountpdu.com/products/970-l21-30-extension-cord-10-foot.aspx

Edit: well, I guess they do make a single phase input, three phase output model.
types.png

Last edited:
dlgoff said:
He's ordering a 3-phase motor so he'll need something like this. http://www.rackmountpdu.com/products/970-l21-30-extension-cord-10-foot.aspx

On a VFD it is prudent to use at least 600V cabling to the motor. Especially on longer runs.

dlgoff said:
Edit: well, I guess they do make a single phase input, three phase output model.

Like the one the OP has selected.

BoB

Likes dlgoff

1. What is a VFD?

A VFD, or Variable Frequency Drive, is an electronic device that is used to control the speed and torque of an electric motor.

2. What materials are needed to wire a VFD?

The specific materials needed may vary depending on the specific VFD and motor being used, but in general, you will need the VFD unit, the motor, appropriate wiring, a power source, and possibly a control panel for programming and monitoring the VFD.

3. Do I need any special tools to wire a VFD?

Yes, you will likely need some basic electrical tools such as wire cutters, strippers, and crimpers. You may also need a multimeter for testing and troubleshooting the wiring.

4. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when wiring a VFD?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and precautions provided by the manufacturer. This may include wearing appropriate protective gear, ensuring the power source is turned off before beginning any wiring, and following proper grounding and insulation procedures.

5. Is it possible to wire a VFD without professional help?

Yes, it is possible to wire a VFD on your own if you have a good understanding of electrical wiring and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer carefully. However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable with the process, it is always recommended to seek professional help to ensure proper installation and avoid potential hazards.