How can I test for positive semi-definiteness in matrices?

Trollfaz
On a side note I'm posting on PF more frequently as I have exams coming and I need some help to understand some concepts. After my exams I will probably go inactive for a while.
So I'll get to the point. Suppose we have a matrix A and I wish to check if it is positive semi definite. So one easy way is to see if all it's eigenvalues are ##\ge 0##.
Another way is to test using the definition of PSD
$$v^T Av\ge 0\ v \in R^n$$
But sometimes things get really messy when I try to test a matrix with arbitrary parameters say I'm testing ##\triangledown ^2 f(x)## for PSD to check if f(x) is convex. Is there any other ways to prove for PSD in a matrix

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a specific example of a problem you're stuck trying to solve? I don't think there's any general principle beyond what you listed but an example might spark some specific insight or just help demonstrate how to use the definition to check.

1. How can I test for positive semi-definiteness in matrices using eigenvalues?

You can test for positive semi-definiteness in a matrix by checking if all its eigenvalues are non-negative. If all eigenvalues are greater than or equal to zero, then the matrix is positive semi-definite.

2. Can I use the Cholesky decomposition to test for positive semi-definiteness in matrices?

Yes, you can use the Cholesky decomposition to test for positive semi-definiteness in matrices. If the Cholesky decomposition of a matrix exists, then the matrix is positive semi-definite.

3. Is there a simple algorithm to determine positive semi-definiteness in matrices?

Yes, there are simple algorithms to determine positive semi-definiteness in matrices. One common method is to check if all principal minors of the matrix are non-negative. If this condition is met, then the matrix is positive semi-definite.

4. Can I use the Sylvester's criterion to test for positive semi-definiteness in matrices?

Yes, you can use Sylvester's criterion to test for positive semi-definiteness in matrices. According to Sylvester's criterion, a symmetric matrix is positive semi-definite if and only if all its leading principal minors are non-negative.

5. Are there any software libraries that can help me test for positive semi-definiteness in matrices?

Yes, there are several software libraries that can help you test for positive semi-definiteness in matrices. Libraries such as NumPy in Python or Eigen in C++ provide functions to check for positive semi-definiteness in matrices efficiently.