Why is this method valid to show function is PSD?

In summary, the function ##f(x, y) = \frac{x^2}{y}## is proven to be positive semi-definite by calculating its Hessian matrix, which can be decomposed into a separable matrix multiplied by a positive constant. This is equivalent to showing that for any column vector ##v##, the matrix ##vv^T## is positive semi-definite, either by using the definition or by showing that its eigenvalues are all non-negative.
Master1022
Homework Statement
We are looking at the function: ## f(x, y) = \frac{x^2}{y}, x \in \mathbb{R} , y > 0 ##. Is this function positive semi-definite.
Relevant Equations
Hessian
Hi,

I was looking at the following example, and I cannot really understand the justification for why this function is positive semi-definite.

Example Problem: We are looking at the function: ## f(x, y) = \frac{x^2}{y}, x \in \mathbb{R} , y > 0 ##. Is this function positive semi-definite.

Solution provided: We can calculate the Hessian to yield:
[tex] \nabla^2 f(x, y) = \frac{2}{y^3} \begin{pmatrix} y^2 & -xy \\ -xy & x^2 \end{pmatrix} = \frac{2}{y^3} \begin{pmatrix} y \\ -x \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} y \\ -x \end{pmatrix}^T \succcurlyeq 0 [/tex]

Therefore, the function is PSD.

My Question: I am not fully convinced by the last step of the argument. I can understand the decomposition, but it isn't obvious to me why that implied positive semi-definiteness.

From what I understand, a matrix ##A## can be said to be PSD if ## x^T Ax \geq 0## for all ##x##. We can also check that the eigenvalues all have real parts ## \geq 0 ##. However, the solution above shows that the Hessian matrix is separable and is multiplied by a pre-factor which is always ## \geq 0 ## because ## y > 0##. I mean, perhaps I could 'transpose' the expression they have and think about the ## \frac{2}{y^3} ## as the ## A ## matrix, but I am also not sure that is valid to do.Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am sure this is quite a simple question and I am missing something obvious.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is an exercise:

For any column vector ##v##, show that ##vv^T## is a positive semi definite matrix.

• Informative
Likes Master1022
Orodruin said:
Here is an exercise:

For any column vector ##v##, show that ##vv^T## is a positive semi definite matrix.
Ah yes.

Okay so the ## v v^T ## resembles a covariance matrix. It has rank 1 because row can be written as ## v_i v ## (that is element ## v_i ## multiplied by ## v ##) and so we can do some row reduction. Therefore because it is rank 1, it has 1 non-zero eigenvalue. We know that the eigenvalues of a matrix sum to the trace so the one non-zero eigenvalue is ## \lambda = ||v||_2 ^2 ##, while the other ## n - 1 ## eigenvalues are 0.

We can see that the eigenvalues are ## \geq 0 ## and therefore ## v v^T ## is PSD.

Relating it back to my question, we have a ## k v v^T ## with some positive constant ##k## and so now that makes sense why the matrix is PSD.

Thank you.

While that works, the more straightforward way is to directly use the definition of positive semi definite. For any ##u##, ##a = u^T v## is a number and so ##a = u^T v = v^T u##. Hence, with ##A = vv^T##, ##u^TAu = u^T v v^T u = a^2 \geq 0## and thus ##vv^T## is positive semi definite.

Likes JFerreira and Master1022

1. Why is it important to show that a method is valid for proving function is PSD?

It is important to show that a method is valid for proving function is PSD because it ensures that the results obtained are accurate and reliable. This is crucial in the field of science, where accuracy and validity are essential for drawing meaningful conclusions.

2. What does it mean for a function to be PSD?

A function is PSD (positive semi-definite) if its value is always greater than or equal to zero for all possible inputs. In other words, the function's output is never negative.

3. How can a method be used to prove that a function is PSD?

A method can be used to prove that a function is PSD by showing that the function satisfies the conditions of positive semi-definiteness. This can be done through mathematical proofs or by using numerical examples to demonstrate that the function's output is always non-negative.

4. What are the benefits of using a valid method to prove function is PSD?

Using a valid method to prove function is PSD provides confidence in the results obtained. It also allows for the replication of the study by other scientists, thus increasing the reliability and credibility of the findings. Additionally, a valid method ensures that the conclusions drawn from the study are accurate and can be applied to real-world situations.

5. Can a function be PSD without using a valid method to prove it?

No, a function cannot be PSD without using a valid method to prove it. Without a valid method, there is no way to ensure that the function satisfies the conditions of positive semi-definiteness, and the results obtained may be inaccurate or unreliable.