How can I troubleshoot and verify my calculations for magnetic force?

In summary, the conversation discusses a student getting a wrong answer for part b of a problem, while parts a and c are correct. The student is asked to show their work, and it is suggested to check the numbers and ask for help from the person who assigned the problem. The conversation ends with the student sharing an image of their work and asking for clarification.
kevinm829
Homework Statement
A wire 48.3 cm long carries a 0.710 A current in the positive direction of an x-axis through a magnetic field with an x component of zero, a y component of 0.000410 T, and a z component of 0.00850 T. Find the (a) x, (b) y, and (c) z components of the magnetic force on the wire.
Relevant Equations
Force on a wire: F=i*(crossP(L,B))
I am getting a wrong answer for part b, however part a and c both are correct :
a. 0 N
b = -2.91E-3 N (WRONG)
c. 1.4E-4 N

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work. We cannot help you unless you do.

kuruman said:
IMG_3756.jpg

kuruman said:
The image i included shows you the work done. please let me know if u need more

I get the same answer as you. If this is a machine-graded problem, show your solution to whomever assigned it to you an ask about it. But before you do that, check the numbers again and make sure you copied everything correctly from the textbook.

What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between magnets and electrically charged particles.

How is magnetic force calculated?

Magnetic force can be calculated using the formula F = qvBsinθ, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity of the particle, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

What factors affect the strength of magnetic force?

The strength of magnetic force is affected by the charge of the particle, the velocity of the particle, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field. Additionally, the distance between the particle and the magnet also affects the strength of magnetic force.

What are some real-life applications of magnetic force calculation?

Magnetic force calculation is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. It is also used in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and energy production.

How does magnetic force differ from other forces?

Magnetic force is different from other forces in that it is only exerted by magnets and electrically charged particles, and it can act at a distance without physical contact. It also follows different laws and equations compared to other forces, such as gravity and electrostatic force.