How can I use Parseval's formula to solve this Fourier transform problem?

In summary, the integral can be computed using Parseval's formula for Fourier transform, which involves taking the inner product of the Fourier transform of two functions. By "norming" the inner product, where the inner product of a "basis vector" with itself is 1, the solution can be simplified to 2π multiplied by the integral of the product of two functions, which can then be calculated.
rayman123

Homework Statement

Compute the integral
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(a\xi)}{(1+i\xi)^3\xi}d \xi[/tex]

by using Parseval's formula for Fourier transform
[tex] <\overbrace{f}^{\wedge},\overbrace{g}^{\wedge}>=2 \pi<f,g>[/tex]
where [tex] \wedge[/tex] means the Fourier transform of a function

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Parseval's formula we can rewrite the integral as

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(a\xi)}{(1+i\xi)^3\xi}d \xi = \Bigl<\overbrace{\frac{\sin(a\xi)}{\xi}}^{\mathcal{F}},\overbrace{\frac{1}{(1+i\xi)^3}}^{\mathcal{F}}\Bigr>[/tex]

with their inversions as follows

[tex] \Bigl(\frac{\sin(a \xi)}{\xi}\Bigr)^{\wedge \wedge }=\frac{1}{2} \chi_{[-a,a]}(x)[/tex] by the table 2 in Folland p.223

and the other one
[tex] \Bigl(\frac{2}{(i \xi+1)^3}\Bigr)^{\wedge \wedge}=\frac{1}{2}x^2e^{-x}[/tex]

which I calculated myslef as follows

we let [tex] g(x)= e^{-x}[/tex] and then the Fourier transform of g(x) is [tex]\mathcal{F}[g(x)]= \frac{1}{1+i \xi}[/tex]

then using formula in Folland again table 2 [tex] \mathcal{F}[xf(x)]=i(\overbrace{f}^{\wedge})^{'})(\xi)[/tex]

and applying it to our function [tex] x^2e^{-x}[/tex]
we get
[tex] \mathcal{F}[x^2e^{-x}]=i(\overbrace{f}^{\wedge})^{''})(\xi)=\frac{2}{(1+i \xi)^3}[/tex]

Homework Statement

going back to the integral and plugging in everything in the Parseval's formula gives me smth like this

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(a\xi)}{(1+i\xi)^3\xi}d \xi = \Bigl<\overbrace{\frac{\sin(a\xi)}{\xi}}^{\mathcal{F}},\overbrace{\frac{1}{(1+i\xi)^3}}^{\mathcal{F}}\Bigr>=2 \pi \Bigl<\frac{1}{2} \chi_{[-a,a]}, \frac{1}{2}x^2e^{-x}\Bigr>[/tex]

in the solution given by our teacher we find

[tex] \frac{1}{4}<f^{\wedge}, g^{\wedge}>= \frac{\pi}{2}<f,g>[/tex]
how did he get this [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex] on the left hand side and then [tex] \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] on the right hand side??

Physics news on Phys.org
He is "norming" the inner product so that the inner product of a "basis vector" with itself is 1.

HallsofIvy said:
He is "norming" the inner product so that the inner product of a "basis vector" with itself is 1.

Could you elaborate it a little bit more...I am very new to this...

Of course it is correct, now I see it. The only thing that is done here is

[tex] \Bigl<\frac{\sin(a\xi}{\xi},\frac{1}{(1+i \xi)^3}\Bigr>=2 \pi \Bigl<\frac{1}{2}\chi_{[-a,a]}, \frac{1}{2}x^2e^{-x}\Bigr>[/tex]
so multiplying everything we simply get
[tex]*2 \pi \cdot \frac{1}{4}\int_{0}^{a}x^2e^{-x}dx[/tex] like in the solution

Related to How can I use Parseval's formula to solve this Fourier transform problem?

1. What is the Fourier transform problem?

The Fourier transform problem is a mathematical problem that involves converting a function or signal from its original domain (usually time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain. This allows for the analysis and manipulation of signals and functions in terms of their frequency components.

2. How is the Fourier transform problem used in science?

The Fourier transform problem is used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis to identify patterns, remove noise, and extract important information from signals and functions.

3. What are the main applications of the Fourier transform problem?

The Fourier transform problem has many applications, such as in audio and image compression, filtering, and pattern recognition. It is also used in solving differential equations and in quantum mechanics to describe the wave-like behavior of particles.

4. What are the limitations of the Fourier transform problem?

One limitation of the Fourier transform problem is that it assumes the signal or function being analyzed is periodic. This can lead to inaccuracies when dealing with non-periodic or discontinuous signals. Additionally, the Fourier transform cannot capture information about the time or location of specific events within a signal.

5. How is the Fourier transform problem related to the inverse Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform and inverse Fourier transform are closely related and are used together to convert a signal or function between the time/space and frequency domains. The Fourier transform converts a signal to the frequency domain, while the inverse Fourier transform converts it back to the time/space domain. They are essentially inverse operations of each other.