How can I verify calculated heat loss?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to measure the actual observed heat loss of a room. The method involves monitoring the internal and external air temperatures and calculating the rate of temperature decrease. Alternatively, a heating element can be used to heat air and measure the temperature change. The conversation also mentions the use of theoretical models for air and the possibility of directly verifying the calculations.
tcdouglas
Hi all,

I have calculated the expected heat loss (fabric not ventilation) of a room in a house using Q=Ʃ(UAΔT) for each building element (window, door, wall, ceiling etc) making the room. The units are Watts.

How can I measure the actual observed heat loss of the room? I am currently monitoring the internal room air temerature and the external air temerature. Shouldn't I be able to calculate the heat loss after switching the heating off and observing the rate of temerature decrease? Obviously I need the figure in Watts to compare against the calculated heat loss.

Thanks in advance...

Science news on Phys.org
Yep - Pretty much how you'd do any heat loss experiment.

Thanks for the reply but I was hoping for an equation to plug my temperature readings into...

You don't have a model for heat loss?

The rate of heat loss depends on the current temperature, so it's actually an exponential.
You heat loss calculations assume a constant internal temperature - so they would correspond to the initial heat loss ... which involve curve-fitting.

You can relate a change in temperature to a change in energy right?
Ideally you want to determine this experimentally ... use a heating element of known power to heat air in a well insulated box and measure the temperature - plot Temp vs time. OR you can use one of the many theoretical models for air ... PV=(5/2)NkT (diatomic ideal gas) to get an approximate figure (you should apply such models to your theoretical heat-loss to turn it into a change in temperature).

Of course you could verify directly - since the calculation you did was for equilibrium at a particular operating temp, you can directly measure the energy pumped into the air from the heaters. This should match the heat loss.

To verify calculated heat loss, you can use a heat flow meter or thermal imaging camera to measure the actual heat loss in the room. These tools can provide more accurate and precise measurements compared to monitoring temperature changes. Additionally, you can also use a data logger to record the temperature of the room and the external environment over a period of time, and then use this data to calculate the heat loss using the same formula you used for your initial calculation. This will allow you to compare your calculated heat loss with the actual observed heat loss. It is important to make sure that the room is properly sealed and insulated to ensure accurate measurements.

1. How do I calculate heat loss in a system?

In order to calculate heat loss, you need to know the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the system, the surface area of the system, and the thermal conductivity of the materials involved. You can then use the formula Q = kAΔT, where Q is the heat loss, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the surface area, and ΔT is the temperature difference.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculated heat loss?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculated heat loss, such as variations in temperature, changes in material properties, and air leakage. It is important to take these factors into account and make appropriate adjustments to your calculations.

3. How can I verify the accuracy of my calculated heat loss?

One way to verify the accuracy of your calculated heat loss is to compare it to actual measurements taken in the system. You can also use simulation software to model the system and compare the results to your calculations.

4. Is there a standard or guideline for acceptable levels of heat loss?

Yes, there are industry standards and guidelines for acceptable levels of heat loss in different types of systems. These standards can vary depending on the specific application and location, so it is important to research and follow the appropriate guidelines for your system.

5. What steps should I take if my calculated heat loss is higher than expected?

If your calculated heat loss is higher than expected, it is important to review your calculations and check for any errors. You may also need to reassess the factors that can affect heat loss and make adjustments to your system to reduce heat loss. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts in the field for further guidance.